Conversion to IClientCore

Frisby, Adam

Hi guys,

I’ve been somewhat distracted lately getting ModRex up and running that I haven’t had time to finish the conversion process I started back in November from the IClientAPI interfaces to IClientCore ones. I would like to see if we can get some additional people in writing patches to add the new IClientCore interfaces.

The process is fairly simple, and I hope we can organise some kind of effort ala the LSL-functions effort where a list is composed then split up into discrete tasks that are more palletable to a community effort.

For those interested in the technical details of what needs to be done – it’s a case of:

Phase 1

-          Find a group of functions and events in IClientAPI.cs that are related (eg, Chat, Parcels, TerrainData, etc)

-          Create a new IClient<TYPE>.cs file (eg IClientChat.cs) and cut and paste those functions and events into the new interface.

-          Add “IClientType” to LLClientView.cs to inherit from, and update the function at the bottom to Register the extra interface.

-          Rinse and Repeat until all functions have IClient<TYPE>.cs’s.

Once we’ve added new interfaces for everything, it becomes time to start porting over modules to use the newer interfaces

Phase 2

-          Find references to IClientAPI and replace them with IClientCore equivilents. There’s a page on the wiki (“OpenSim 0.6 IClientAPI”) which contains examples and an example howto.

Anyone (Charles?) feel like drawing up the list of items to be ported and begin the work?

Regards,

Adam

Re: Conversion to IClientCore

Charles Krinke-3
This seems like a capital idea to me and will allow OpenSim to more easily have modules added for other, non-secondlife clients in the future in addition to making the current modrex project move more smoothly. So, lets get going.

I have looked at the http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_0.6_IClientAPI page on the wiki and it seems reasonable.

I also looked at OpenSim/Framework/Client and see IClientCore.cs and two interface files, IClientIM.cs and ICLientChat.cs

So, as I understand the project, we are formally requesting patches to help migrate the 500 subroutines currently using IClientAPI to use IClientCore and when all the relevant subroutines have IClientCore implementations, we will deprecate the existing IClientAPI methods.

Charles

p.s. There are still 27 LSL functions in the "NotImplemented" state and even modest patches to have just some functionality would help. I would really like to get all the "NotImplemented" out of the source so we can declare the first phase of LSL implementation done in accordance with Tedd Hansen's vision.