Display Names

Ai Austin-2
One for @Ubit...

I saw the recent commits related to display names. Can you clarify if
these are meant to enable DisplayNames to work or just to make sure
they do not cause a problem if someone tries to use them in a viewer?

As a test I tried to set a display name for an avatar just now with
latest dev aster code on my test grid and I got a popup with the
boxes to type the display name and to confirm it greyed out and a
notice that you can change the display name once a week and the next
time it would be allowed would be December 13 09:48 which is probably
exactly one week after the avatar logged in. yet, the display name
has never been changed or even attempted to change for any of the
avatars on the test grid.

I also wondered what the user management module is and whether its
enabled normally in grid setups or if something special needs to be
done. In the past I have definitely seen [USER MANAGEMENT MODULE]
messages on the consoles.

Re: Display Names

Melanie-2
Hi,

there is no one in core who has an interest in display names. Last
time it was spoken about we were unanimous that display names are a
BadThing.

Regardless, if someone cares to make a module for them, we would
accept it. It's just that none of us will make one. We just don't
like or need the feature,

- Melanie

On 05/12/2016 10:02, Ai Austin wrote:

> One for @Ubit...
>
> I saw the recent commits related to display names. Can you clarify if
> these are meant to enable DisplayNames to work or just to make sure
> they do not cause a problem if someone tries to use them in a viewer?
>
> As a test I tried to set a display name for an avatar just now with
> latest dev aster code on my test grid and I got a popup with the
> boxes to type the display name and to confirm it greyed out and a
> notice that you can change the display name once a week and the next
> time it would be allowed would be December 13 09:48 which is probably
> exactly one week after the avatar logged in. yet, the display name
> has never been changed or even attempted to change for any of the
> avatars on the test grid.
>
> I also wondered what the user management module is and whether its
> enabled normally in grid setups or if something special needs to be
> done. In the past I have definitely seen [USER MANAGEMENT MODULE]
> messages on the consoles.

Re: Display Names

Ai Austin-2
Noted Melanie.  I was not suggesting a priority for such a module...
I just wanted to know what the recent commit or two related to
DisplayName handling by @Ubit were intended to do... these two...

http://opensimulator.org/viewgit/?a=commit&p=opensim&h=e1cf34d6fb2d43261ad66262af091574c075f489

replace GetDisplaynames by a handler really usable as a client cap.
Most capabilities.handlers are so it all things not propor PER CLIENT
CAP handlers

http://opensimulator.org/viewgit/?a=commit&p=opensim&h=fcd1e36ed6177f3b3e83d7fd829df3a5325c5e9c

a few changes to new GetDisplaynames and friends

Re: Display Names

AJLDuarte
Sorry missed this email
        Yes like Melanie said we have no plans to support display names as
SL
        But GetDisplaynames is also part of usernames resolution.
        Those commits where changing it to a code path where is easier to
check cap owner state
        Code is mainly c&p of original still in place
        This change is related to a timing dependent issue.
LD ( Ubit )