Farewell and thanks

Dahlia Trimble
I am sad to announce that I will be leaving OpenSimulator Core. I've been finding lately that I no longer have a use for this type of software and I don't have the time to contribute at the level that I'd like. I know that many users and several of the current Core members have a lot of ideas for the direction they would like to take this software in the future and I don't really want to influence them when I am not planning to continue as a user or developer. Therefore I will be relinquishing my commit access and moving on.

I wish to extend my gratitude to the community for their support of me and my development efforts to date, and to the fine group of users and developers I've had the chance to get to know and work with over the last 8 years. This time spent has been a significant experience in my life and I have developed many friendships and I've learned much about open source and open development during this time. I can only hope that being a part of this community will benefit some of you as much as it has benefited me. I have much faith that this community and this software are destined for greater things in the future.

Best wishes to you all!
-dahlia

Re: Farewell and thanks

Nick Zwart - 3DLES
Dahlia,

Thanks for all the effort you put into this great project.

Nick

[...]

Fly Man
Dahlia,

I'm sorry to hear that you're leaving OpenSim and hope that you will find happiness.

As a famous person once said: So Long, and Thanks for All the Hard Work in the Past

[...]

Latif Khalifa
Dahlia, I'm very sorry to see you leave the project as you were one of
the best liaisons with the libopenmetaverse project we had. I'm more
than little concerned with the direction Opensim project is taking
lately, and your input was invaluable.

On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 11:48 AM, Dahlia Trimble <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am sad to announce that I will be leaving OpenSimulator Core. I've been
> finding lately that I no longer have a use for this type of software and I
> don't have the time to contribute at the level that I'd like. I know that
> many users and several of the current Core members have a lot of ideas for
> the direction they would like to take this software in the future and I
> don't really want to influence them when I am not planning to continue as a
> user or developer. Therefore I will be relinquishing my commit access and
> moving on.
>
> I wish to extend my gratitude to the community for their support of me and
> my development efforts to date, and to the fine group of users and
> developers I've had the chance to get to know and work with over the last 8
> years. This time spent has been a significant experience in my life and I
> have developed many friendships and I've learned much about open source and
> open development during this time. I can only hope that being a part of this
> community will benefit some of you as much as it has benefited me. I have
> much faith that this community and this software are destined for greater
> things in the future.
>
> Best wishes to you all!
> -dahlia

Re: Farewell and thanks

Zadark Portal
hear, hear Latif.

On 6 September 2015 at 09:38, Latif Khalifa <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dahlia, I'm very sorry to see you leave the project as you were one of
the best liaisons with the libopenmetaverse project we had. I'm more
than little concerned with the direction Opensim project is taking
lately, and your input was invaluable.

On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 11:48 AM, Dahlia Trimble <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am sad to announce that I will be leaving OpenSimulator Core. I've been
> finding lately that I no longer have a use for this type of software and I
> don't have the time to contribute at the level that I'd like. I know that
> many users and several of the current Core members have a lot of ideas for
> the direction they would like to take this software in the future and I
> don't really want to influence them when I am not planning to continue as a
> user or developer. Therefore I will be relinquishing my commit access and
> moving on.
>
> I wish to extend my gratitude to the community for their support of me and
> my development efforts to date, and to the fine group of users and
> developers I've had the chance to get to know and work with over the last 8
> years. This time spent has been a significant experience in my life and I
> have developed many friendships and I've learned much about open source and
> open development during this time. I can only hope that being a part of this
> community will benefit some of you as much as it has benefited me. I have
> much faith that this community and this software are destined for greater
> things in the future.
>
> Best wishes to you all!
> -dahlia

Re: Farewell and thanks

Diva Canto
Thanks for your contributions, Dahlia!

Usually, open source projects (and closed source ones too!) have a
relatively high turn over. In OpenSim, there were people leaving (and
some coming) around 2010-2011, and then the team stayed more or less the
same since then. The original founders of the project (MW, lbsa and
Adam) left around that time. The same thing happened with libomv, as the
only original member left is lkalif.

The reasons why people decide to contribute to open source projects are
varied, and so are the reasons why people decide to stop contributing.
Every one of us can go at any time. In OpenSim, there's a new wave of
people contributing recently -- viewer developers -- and that is great.

As for the future, and speaking for myself, I want to make OpenSim be
what it says it is: a framework for multi-user 3D applications. There is
nothing like that out there. Unity3D is fantastic, but it's not
multi-user out of the box and it's much more difficult to create content
for it; making Unity3D multi-user requires a huge amount of work, and
there are commercial solutions out there; creating content for it
requires a steep learning curve on tools like Blender.

This vision of a multi-user 3D application framework with a simple
content creation model has been hampered by the heavy legacy of Second
Life and the pressure to stay compatible with it, as many developers of
OpenSim wanted it to be SL. We're now finally seeing some will to
evolve, thanks to Linden Lab themselves changing directions, and, as far
as I'm concerned, that is long due!

I'm looking forward to seeing the emergence of modular, programmable
viewers, and corresponding server-side support. We're cleaning up a lot
of things in preparation for that. Support for legacy SL will most
likely continue, as that is a good baseline and many people still want
it, but it's time to move on.

On 9/6/2015 1:38 AM, Latif Khalifa wrote:

> Dahlia, I'm very sorry to see you leave the project as you were one of
> the best liaisons with the libopenmetaverse project we had. I'm more
> than little concerned with the direction Opensim project is taking
> lately, and your input was invaluable.
>
> On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 at 11:48 AM, Dahlia Trimble <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am sad to announce that I will be leaving OpenSimulator Core. I've been
>> finding lately that I no longer have a use for this type of software and I
>> don't have the time to contribute at the level that I'd like. I know that
>> many users and several of the current Core members have a lot of ideas for
>> the direction they would like to take this software in the future and I
>> don't really want to influence them when I am not planning to continue as a
>> user or developer. Therefore I will be relinquishing my commit access and
>> moving on.
>>
>> I wish to extend my gratitude to the community for their support of me and
>> my development efforts to date, and to the fine group of users and
>> developers I've had the chance to get to know and work with over the last 8
>> years. This time spent has been a significant experience in my life and I
>> have developed many friendships and I've learned much about open source and
>> open development during this time. I can only hope that being a part of this
>> community will benefit some of you as much as it has benefited me. I have
>> much faith that this community and this software are destined for greater
>> things in the future.
>>
>> Best wishes to you all!
>> -dahlia

Re: Farewell and thanks

Ai Austin-2
Dahlia, very many thanks for your pioneering work on OpenSim and may
really valuable and highly technical contributions over the history
of the project.

I hope you will keep a friendly eye on things and continue to join in
even without being so heavily involved as a core developer in
future.  Best wishes, Ai