First time setup of OpenSim - paths to configure

First time setup of OpenSim - paths to configure

Ai Austin-2
I am going through a number of scenarios for setting up OpenSim from
scratch on a new system as if I was a new user... checking documents,
.ini file comments and seeing where simplifications can be made.

Rather than raise Mantis issue or suggestions for small things, I
hope folks on this list will not mind me raising a question or two
here which can probably be resolved quickly one way or the other.

1. The handling of FlotsamAssetCache.ini.  FlotsamAssetCache is
enabled as the choice between the alternatives in the example .ini
setup.  The setup will load config-include\FlotsamAssetcache.ini..
but if its not present it prints out a message but uses the
defaults.  I wonder if this can be simplified and just avoid one step
or this message by just renaming the example file
config-include\FlotsamAssetcache.ini.example to
config-include\FlotsamAssetcache.ini ?

2. Like we have a convention of Public Port 8002 and (firewall
protected if we wish) PrivatePort 8003 for a grid.. we have a
convention of port 9000 for a standalone PublicPort.  But have we
established a convention for the PrivatePort for a standalone?  If
not, can we do that?  As ports 9000-90xx tend to get used for add on
regions in a setup.. we ought to avoid port numbers just after 9000.
Would 9900 work as a suggestion?

Re: First time setup of OpenSim - paths to configure

Diva Canto
Hi Ai,

On 8/24/2015 2:03 AM, Ai Austin wrote:

> I am going through a number of scenarios for setting up OpenSim from
> scratch on a new system as if I was a new user... checking documents,
> .ini file comments and seeing where simplifications can be made.
>
> Rather than raise Mantis issue or suggestions for small things, I hope
> folks on this list will not mind me raising a question or two here
> which can probably be resolved quickly one way or the other.
>
> 1. The handling of FlotsamAssetCache.ini.  FlotsamAssetCache is
> enabled as the choice between the alternatives in the example .ini
> setup.  The setup will load config-include\FlotsamAssetcache.ini.. but
> if its not present it prints out a message but uses the defaults.  I
> wonder if this can be simplified and just avoid one step or this
> message by just renaming the example file
> config-include\FlotsamAssetcache.ini.example to
> config-include\FlotsamAssetcache.ini ?

The file system asset cache (flotsam) is not really needed for
standalones, especially those that use sqlite. Sqlite is already a local
file system storage. So maybe the thing to do here is to avoid printing
that warning message. I'll look into it.

OpenSim is a complicated server. One can run it out of the box to get
something going, but in order to use it for more than tinkering in one's
computer, it requires some non-trivial technical knowledge that is not
possible to hide; it would be unwise to even try to hide it. (On the
bright side, OpenSim is easier to set up than e.g. a Diaspora node)

> 2. Like we have a convention of Public Port 8002 and (firewall
> protected if we wish) PrivatePort 8003 for a grid.. we have a
> convention of port 9000 for a standalone PublicPort.  But have we
> established a convention for the PrivatePort for a standalone?  If
> not, can we do that?  As ports 9000-90xx tend to get used for add on
> regions in a setup.. we ought to avoid port numbers just after 9000.
> Would 9900 work as a suggestion?

Standalones don't have a private port like the grids. The only port(s)
they have is/are public, so that clients can make contact. I don't know
when the port number conventions started. Standalones could have TCP
port 8002 to be consistent with grids, and then one or more UDP ports in
the range 9000. But that would miss some of the story of these ports,
too -- the viewers use the TCP port not just to use the login service
but also to use some of the simulator functions.

Diva Canto wrote:
>OpenSim is a complicated server. One can run it out of the box to get
>something going, but in order to use it for more than tinkering in one's
>computer, it requires some non-trivial technical knowledge that is not
>possible to hide; it would be unwise to even try to hide it. (On the
>bright side, OpenSim is easier to set up than e.g. a Diaspora node)

It is good news that it CAN be got running quite skimpy though, for
both SQLite and MYSQL, and a running system can them be incrementally
configured to more complete and usable forms.

Re: First time setup of OpenSim - paths to configure

Ai Austin-2

>It is good news that it CAN be got running quite skimpy though....

The Apple iPad does love to have fun with spelling corrections - I
think "simpy" became "skimpy" rather than "simply"! :-)

Following the discussion, I have made a small patch suggestion to the
.ini.example files which I hope improves the description and setup.

The only "controversial" aspect might be the commenting out of the
Flotsamcache module that is currently enabled by default in the
example.  Just in the example remember and to more clearly indicate
its optional, not needed in all cases and to avoid a further
necessary step of making the FlotsamAssetCache.ini file from its own example.