Latif Kalifa

Diva Canto
It is with great sadness that I inform you that one of the oldest and
most respected members of this community, Latif Kalifa, has passed away,
after a long battle with a serious health condition that landed him in
the hospital many times over the past few years.

Latif's contributions to the open source SL ecosystem were vast and
varied. He was one of the original contributors, and the main
maintainer, of libOMV, a library that embodies the LL protocol and data
structures. LibOMV lies at the heart of OpenSimulator, as well as many
SL/OpenSim bots developed by lots of people. Latif also developed
Radegast, an alternative viewer used by many, especially people with
disabilities. He also contributed to the Singularity viewer and its
offshoot, Replex. He participated in the SL Architecture Working Group,
and in many technical discussions in the OpenSim-dev IRC chat channel.
He was a vocal advocate of free open source software.

We don't necessarily know who Latif was in real life, what he did for a
living, or who is family and loved ones are. That's one of the
consequences of being part of world-wide online communities, where we
interact only with virtual representations of real people, often using
pseudonyms. But it was clear to everyone who interacted with him that
his spirit was strong and that his heart, wherever in the world he
lived, was in the right place. Open source software exists because of
people like him.

His code will outlive him.
He will be missed.

Re: Latif Kalifa

Michel Beauregard
Supporting sympathies.

C# coding is an international language and he certainly was one of its talented poets .

GiMiSa

 Objet : Re: [Opensim-dev] Latif Kalifa
 À : [hidden email]
 Date: samedi 5 mars 2016 10 h 02

 My heart
 wrote:
[...]

 -----La pièce jointe associée suit-----

Re: Latif Kalifa

Fly Man
Lkalif was also one of the people that was able to bring out the best in people when they were coding against the LibOMV. Many of the projects that lean on LibOMV were supported by Lkalif himself or he helped with good advice / code.

Hearing about his illness last year also made it clear that Radegast and other projects would be placed on a low profile while he wasn't able to contribute as much anymore like he wanted.

Today we lost both a great developer and also a friend to many that knew him, if you can speak of knowing a person through talking on IRC, Secondlife or other places.

I hope his family will take comfort in knowing that we, the Virtual World Community, have lost a person and mourn his loss deeply.

Kristina: Moja sućut

[...]

Robert A. Knop Jr.
On Sat, Mar 05, 2016 at 07:00:23AM -0800, Diva Canto wrote:
> It is with great sadness that I inform you that one of the oldest and most
> respected members of this community, Latif Kalifa, has passed away, after a
> long battle with a serious health condition that landed him in the hospital
> many times over the past few years.

That's very sad.

I also remember him as a regular at the server release team office hours
that I ran on the Beta grid for Second Life many years ago when I worked
for Linden Lab.

-Rob

--
--Rob Knop
  E-mail:    [hidden email]

Re: Latif Kalifa

Terry Ford-2
Very sad indeed.

I did not know Latif, and was saddened by this news.

I did a quick search and found a page (http://slviewerdramaz.tumblr.com/page/2) which seems to indicate Latif is actually Edin Kadribašić.
https://plus.google.com/+EdinKadribasic/posts
http://www.edin.dk/p/about-me.html
https://www.facebook.com/edin.kadribasic

This seems to indicate he was also involved in the PHP project as well as several other things.
Not completely sure on this, maybe someone else knows better than I?

I and the rest of the OpenSim community will always owe a debt of gratitude for his contributions.
I wish his family peace and my thoughts are with them.

~Terry

On 3/5/2016 10:00 AM, Diva Canto wrote:
[...]

Ken Grunke
Here is something from Latif's youtube page, the only video showing "meatspace", showing him as living in Denmark:
https://youtu.be/Wcd9_4zgshk

On 03/05/2016 10:42 AM, Terry Ford wrote:
[...]

Morgaine
Latif was a founding light in open virtual worlds, a light that shone strongly and helped illuminate the way as we began to explore this new frontier.  He enjoyed that exploration immensely, and he was a dedicated and very talented software engineer.  We benefited greatly and repeatedly from his work, and from his friendship.

I hope that virtual worlds will remember his many contributions, perhaps in a way that has a degree of permanence.  As virtual places gain maturity and recognition, our friend has earned rememberance not only among developers, and not only in memorials, but also in place names used daily by the inhabitants of worlds which his work has inspired.  He created the foundations of worlds, quite literally.

I will never forget Latif.  His work and his person contributed to my own interest in this area, and his efforts were sterling.  He has earned his place in history.

Morgaine.

(Thank you Diva for your homage.  It was spot on in every respect.)

Re: Latif Kalifa

dmiles

On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 12:44 PM, Zadark Portal <[hidden email]> wrote:
Latif is a continuing source of inspiration for me. It has been almost 2 years (I think) since an epic IRC exchange removed the 4096 limitation with a Latif eureka moment and jump regions became a thing of the past. I know there are other times Latif has risen to the challenge but I will leave those for others.

In libOMV He was the first person to accept a GridClient might be connected to more than one Simulator at a time :P

Re: Latif Kalifa

naofan teardrop
Sorry for this loss.

I'm all the more sorry to inform you that the human who was naofan teardrop, or fana dechou, or stephane shonagai, or some others too passed away too on december the 20th from a lung cancer. I tried to unsuscribe him from this list but I couldn't.

He used a lot of pseudos and mail adresses, but I think if you receive this message, you might be able to unsuscribe him.

I'm his wife IRL.