Mumble & Voice

12

Mumble & Voice

Robert A. Knop Jr.
I don't know if anybody is aware of this, but there's a fully open
source (BSDish) VOIP server/client named Mumble --
http://mumble.sourceforge.net/ .  I don't know if they have a
library/API that could be used for integrating the server into other
things.  However, this might be something that could be integrated into
OpenSim as built-in Voice.  (It would require changes to the client as
well, of course.)

I know that some folks use Skype or phone voice bridges to use Voice
while in OpenSim, but I've found that not having the visual feedback on
who's talking (voice gestures or the green lines over your head) really
breaks the immersion.  It'd be great to have some sort of built-in Voice
solution (even better if it was spatial, but even just "global" with
visual feedback would get us most of the way there).

Is anybody working on integrating Voice into OpenSim right now?  I know
that there's something going on with FreeSwitch.  Who's the expert on
Voice in OpenSim?

--
--Rob Knop
  E-mail:    [hidden email]

Re: Mumble & Voice

Rob Smart
Hi Robert,

There are two working voice modules for OpenSim at the moment. FreeSwitch and Vivox. Freeswitch has lower voice quality than Vivox and no spatial sound however it has the advantage of being free. Vivox is a lot higher quality but it is down to anyone running the Vivox module to speak to Vivox and negotiate use of their voice servers.

Mumble/Murmur looks great (Murmur is the server component) but they use the speex codec which is not supported by SLVoice (the SL clients inbuilt VOIP client) so use of it without modifying the client is unfortunately not possible.

Rob.

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Robert A. Knop Jr. <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Toni Alatalo
Rob Smart kirjoitti:
> Mumble/Murmur looks great (Murmur is the server component) but they
> use the speex codec which is not supported by SLVoice (the SL clients
> inbuilt VOIP client) so use of it without modifying the client is
> unfortunately not possible.

IIRC the original rexviewer prototype (aka. the current prod. version)
comes with a slvoice replacement which uses Speex. AFAIK slvoice is a
separate app with which slviewer talks over some kind of ipc, so it can
be changed to another implementation without touching the viewer itself.

> Rob.

~Toni

> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Robert A. Knop Jr. <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I don't know if anybody is aware of this, but there's a fully open
>     source (BSDish) VOIP server/client named Mumble --
>     http://mumble.sourceforge.net/ .  I don't know if they have a
>     library/API that could be used for integrating the server into other
>     things.  However, this might be something that could be integrated
>     into
>     OpenSim as built-in Voice.  (It would require changes to the client as
>     well, of course.)
>
>     I know that some folks use Skype or phone voice bridges to use Voice
>     while in OpenSim, but I've found that not having the visual
>     feedback on
>     who's talking (voice gestures or the green lines over your head)
>     really
>     breaks the immersion.  It'd be great to have some sort of built-in
>     Voice
>     solution (even better if it was spatial, but even just "global" with
>     visual feedback would get us most of the way there).
>
>     Is anybody working on integrating Voice into OpenSim right now?  I
>     know
>     that there's something going on with FreeSwitch.  Who's the expert on
>     Voice in OpenSim?
>
>     --
>     --Rob Knop
>      E-mail:    [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      Home Page: http://www.pobox.com/~rknop/
>     <http://www.pobox.com/%7Erknop/>
>      Blog:      http://www.sonic.net/~rknop/blog/
>     <http://www.sonic.net/%7Erknop/blog/>

Re: Mumble & Voice

Jeroen van Veen
Hi Toni,

does that mean that the prototype's version can be used as a dropin
replacement for SLVoice with the vanilla sl-viewer?

Cheers,

Jeroen

Jeroen van Veen kirjoitti:
> does that mean that the prototype's version can be used as a dropin
> replacement for SLVoice with the vanilla sl-viewer?

Yes, I think so. It was made about two years ago, dunno if has needed
touching since, nor whether anything has changed in the ipc protocol
recently that would break it with newer viewers.

> Jeroen

~Toni

On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 02:34:38PM +0200, Toni Alatalo wrote:
> Jeroen van Veen kirjoitti:
> > does that mean that the prototype's version can be used as a dropin
> > replacement for SLVoice with the vanilla sl-viewer?
> >

> Yes, I think so. It was made about two years ago, dunno if has needed
> touching since, nor whether anything has changed in the ipc protocol
> recently that would break it with newer viewers.

I know that the API for Vivox changed sometime during the 1.23 cycle.
Right now, I think, the Vivox servers are supporting both old and new,
but at some point presumably they'll stop supporting old.  And, this API
wasn't just for the protocol between server and client, but also between
voice app and viewer.

As such, if something was made a couple of years ago, it will take some
changes (probably not too hard) to work with the current SL client.

--
--Rob Knop
  E-mail:    [hidden email]
  Home Page: http://www.pobox.com/~rknop/
  Blog:      http://www.sonic.net/~rknop/blog/

Re: Mumble & Voice

Jeroen van Veen
If it would be a small change, then it's definitly interesting to find out for
some people. Voice quality with slvoice pcmu is rather lower. In the long run
the Naali approach with libtelepathy seems to be much better.

Jeroen

Op zaterdag 05 december 2009 17:17:35 schreef Robert A. Knop Jr.:

> On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 02:34:38PM +0200, Toni Alatalo wrote:
> > Jeroen van Veen kirjoitti:
> > > does that mean that the prototype's version can be used as a dropin
> > > replacement for SLVoice with the vanilla sl-viewer?
> >
> > Yes, I think so. It was made about two years ago, dunno if has needed
> > touching since, nor whether anything has changed in the ipc protocol
> > recently that would break it with newer viewers.
>
> I know that the API for Vivox changed sometime during the 1.23 cycle.
> Right now, I think, the Vivox servers are supporting both old and new,
> but at some point presumably they'll stop supporting old.  And, this API
> wasn't just for the protocol between server and client, but also between
> voice app and viewer.
>
> As such, if something was made a couple of years ago, it will take some
> changes (probably not too hard) to work with the current SL client.

Re: Mumble & Voice

Geetika S
Hi

Just wanted to add - we worked on using Mumble with Opensim about a year
back. We didnt integrate Mumble client with SL client but ran it
independently. There is also a small server which runs on the client
machine and listens for avatar positions sent to it from an in-world script
on an avatar attachment. I can share more details and code if anyone is
interested.

Geetika

Geetika Sharma
Tata Consultancy Services

Gurgaon,Haryana
India
Mailto: [hidden email]
Website: http://www.tcs.com
Experience certainty.   IT Services
                  Business Solutions
                  Outsourcing

[hidden email] wrote on 12/06/2009 12:33:56 PM:

> [image removed]
>
> Re: [Opensim-dev] Mumble & Voice
>
> Jeroen van Veen
>
> to:
>
> opensim-dev
>
> 12/06/2009 11:30 AM
>
> Sent by:
>
> [hidden email]
>
> Please respond to opensim-dev
>
> If it would be a small change, then it's definitly interesting to
> find out for
> some people. Voice quality with slvoice pcmu is rather lower. In thelong
run

> the Naali approach with libtelepathy seems to be much better.
>
> Jeroen
>
> Op zaterdag 05 december 2009 17:17:35 schreef Robert A. Knop Jr.:
> > >
> > > Yes, I think so. It was made about two years ago, dunno if has needed
> > > touching since, nor whether anything has changed in the ipc protocol
> > > recently that would break it with newer viewers.
> >
> > I know that the API for Vivox changed sometime during the 1.23 cycle.
> > Right now, I think, the Vivox servers are supporting both old and new,
> > but at some point presumably they'll stop supporting old.  And, this
API
> > wasn't just for the protocol between server and client, but also
between
> > voice app and viewer.
> >
> > As such, if something was made a couple of years ago, it will take some
> > changes (probably not too hard) to work with the current SL client.

=====-----=====-----=====
and any attachments. Thank you

Re: Mumble & Voice

Snoopy Pfeffer
Hi

A friend of mine is currently working on a Mumble voice module for OpenSim, together with his development team. He will release it as open source, as soon as it is finished.

He already did first tests with Mumble and OpenSim and he already got speaker indication working (what is missing in the existing Freeswitch voice module) as well as lip sync. Voice gestures seem to require some changes in the OpenSim region server, to trigger these body movements. He will also implement spacial sound, what can be done nicely with the existing Mumble interface. On the viewer side SLVoice.exe will be replaced by a Mumble voice plugin with a compatible interface towards the viewer. This way existing Vivox license issues should also be overcome.

This voice module will be the first, beside the Vivox voice module, that supports all features required for professional meetings in OpenSim worlds. Because my friend has big corporations as customers, he additionally needs a voice solution that can be run behind a firewall (what is not possible with Vivox).

He is optimistic that a first version of the Mumble voice module will be ready for tests during the first half of January. I will keep you informed.

Snoopy

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 01:17:30AM -0800, Snoopy Pfeffer wrote:
> He is optimistic that a first version of the Mumble voice module will
> be ready for tests during the first half of January. I will keep you
> informed.

Wow, that's excellent news.

How does it work client side?  Is there a client module to be run that
works with the SL viewer?

--
--Rob Knop
  E-mail:    [hidden email]
  Home Page: http://www.pobox.com/~rknop/
  Blog:      http://www.sonic.net/~rknop/blog/

Re: Mumble & Voice

Snoopy Pfeffer
Hello Rob

My friend told me, that he will simply replace SLVoice.exe. That module provides an interface for the viewer and as long as that interface stays the same, no viewer changes are need.

Snoopy

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 07:05:06AM -0800, Snoopy Pfeffer wrote:

> My friend told me, that he will simply replace SLVoice.exe. That
> module provides an interface for the viewer and as long as that
> interface stays the same, no viewer changes are need.

Excellent.

As I mentioned, I think that that interface *did* change somewhere in
the viewer 1.22 or 1.23 cycle; I'm not sure how much it changed, and I
may be wrong and it may be that it didn't change at all.

--
--Rob Knop
  E-mail:    [hidden email]
  Home Page: http://www.pobox.com/~rknop/
  Blog:      http://www.sonic.net/~rknop/blog/

Re: Mumble & Voice

Stefan Andersson-3
Since the SL viewer accepts command line options to tell it what port the
SLVoice service is available on, and also whether to attempt to start
SLVoice.exe, if you don't want to replace the exe, you could just as well
have the custom voice exe start first, establish a service port, then let it
(the voice exe) locate and launch the sl viewer with the correct args,
instead of letting the sl viewer start the hardcoded SLVoice.exe.

We did this in PIM; works like a charm.

/Stefan

Ideia Boa
+1

Robert A. Knop Jr. wrote:
On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 01:17:30AM -0800, Snoopy Pfeffer wrote:

He is optimistic that a first version of the Mumble voice module will
be ready for tests during the first half of January. I will keep you
informed.

Wow, that's excellent news.

How does it work client side?  Is there a client module to be run that
works with the SL viewer?

ideiaboa.vcf (284 bytes) Download Attachment
Best regards
Ideia Boa
www.WorldSimTerra.com

Re: Mumble & Voice

Frisby, Adam
*that* is very clever; since it'd allow you to have backwards/forwards compatible.

If you hooked that up with the current freeswitch solution - you could have standard clients getting crappy PCM8000, people with better clients would get whatever you could negotiate (Speex?)

Adam

Yeah, I think it's a pretty good solution; yet another of those things that
could go into a generic client-side launcher thingy.

If you would attempt this though, be aware that the voice port settings are
'sticky' ie, gets saved to the viewer config, so you would probably also
want to specify a new config file location as not to mess up the original
sl-specific config. There's an arg for that too.

/Stefan

Or indeed per region; if the region could answer 'where is my speech url and
what kind of backend am I using?' then, on the region change trigger, the
voice process could ask that and change voice lib entirely.

Though my voice comms kung fu is weaker than Darrens, I'd say it's probably
a bit messy, but not undoable.

/Stefan

The issue with this approach is people using the Freeswitch voice wouldnt be able to communicate with those using Mumble/Murmur, as far as i can find from my searching Murmur isn't SIP compliant and i can find any reference to bridging Murmur channels to anything else. Any Murmur experts around who could confirm this  ?

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 5:50 AM, Stefan Andersson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you hooked that up with the current freeswitch solution - you could
> have standard clients getting crappy PCM8000, people with better clients
> would get whatever you could negotiate (Speex?)

Or indeed per region; if the region could answer 'where is my speech url and
what kind of backend am I using?' then, on the region change trigger, the
voice process could ask that and change voice lib entirely.

Though my voice comms kung fu is weaker than Darrens, I'd say it's probably
a bit messy, but not undoable.

/Stefan

How about modifying the voipforvw project to use something like the celt
protocol, instead of pcmu?

Jeroen

Op dinsdag 08 december 2009 11:14:38 schreef Rob Smart:

> The issue with this approach is people using the Freeswitch voice wouldnt
>  be able to communicate with those using Mumble/Murmur, as far as i can
>  find from my searching Murmur isn't SIP compliant and i can find any
>  reference to bridging Murmur channels to anything else. Any Murmur experts
>  around who could confirm this  ?
>
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 5:50 AM, Stefan Andersson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > If you hooked that up with the current freeswitch solution - you could
> > > have standard clients getting crappy PCM8000, people with better
> > > clients would get whatever you could negotiate (Speex?)
> >
> > Or indeed per region; if the region could answer 'where is my speech url
> > and
> > what kind of backend am I using?' then, on the region change trigger, the
> > voice process could ask that and change voice lib entirely.
> >
> > Though my voice comms kung fu is weaker than Darrens, I'd say it's
> > probably a bit messy, but not undoable.
> >
> > /Stefan

Re: Mumble & Voice

Dr Scofield
On 12/07/2009 04:09 PM, Robert A. Knop Jr. wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 07:05:06AM -0800, Snoopy Pfeffer wrote:
>
>> My friend told me, that he will simply replace SLVoice.exe. That
>> module provides an interface for the viewer and as long as that
>> interface stays the same, no viewer changes are need.
>
> Excellent.
>
> As I mentioned, I think that that interface *did* change somewhere in
> the viewer 1.22 or 1.23 cycle; I'm not sure how much it changed, and I
> may be wrong and it may be that it didn't change at all.

i think snoopy's friend (who both happen to be friends of mine as well ;-) has
captured the recent cycle IIRC...

        cheers,
        DrS

--