New configuration capabilities

James Hughes
Hi everyone,

Commit c7a11899f6c5 contains a new feature to allow the creation and use
of constants in the ini files. I did not want to switch over the
examples without some discussion first because some my have automated
systems to configure their installations. This works for both OpenSim
and Robust.

For an example, think about Robust configuration. Most of us probably
have a url to the server that runs our services, and we probably have an
internal (protected) port for some of the services and an external
(public) port for others. Before now, to set that up, we had to enter
the same information over and over throughout our files to define the
url and port for each service. Let's look at how we can accomplish that
now ...

First we need to define a section to hold our constants, we will use
[Const]. Then we need to define our values there for the rest of the
configuration to use.

[Const]
  BaseURL = http://example.com
  PublicPort = 8002
  PrivatePort = 8003

Then, we use the syntax: ${Const|KeyName} to replace every instance of
the value we wish to replace. Here are a few entries from the
Robust.HG.ini to see how it works.

[ServiceList]

AssetServiceConnector =
"${Const|PrivatePort}/OpenSim.Server.Handlers.dll:AssetServiceConnector"
GridInfoServerInConnector =
"${Const|
PublicPort}/OpenSim.Server.Handlers.dll:GridInfoServerInConnector"

[LoginService]

    MapTileURL = ${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}/

    SRV_HomeURI = "${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}"
    SRV_InventoryServerURI = "${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}"
    SRV_AssetServerURI = "${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}"
    SRV_ProfileServerURI = "${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}"
    SRV_FriendsServerURI = "${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}"
    SRV_IMServerURI = "${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}"
    SRV_GroupsServerURI = "${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PrivatePort}"

When these are setup in the configuration file, then all that is needed
is to set the values of the keys in the [Const] section.

Thanks!
BlueWall

Re: New configuration capabilities

Melanie-2
That is a really nice and useful feature that should definitely make
it into the default config files. It doesn't keep people who have
scripted systems for configuration management from continuing to use
them because this notation is not mandatory, it's just one more option.

Melanie

On 11/10/2014 02:36, James Hughes wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Commit c7a11899f6c5 contains a new feature to allow the creation and use
> of constants in the ini files. I did not want to switch over the
> examples without some discussion first because some my have automated
> systems to configure their installations. This works for both OpenSim
> and Robust.
>
> For an example, think about Robust configuration. Most of us probably
> have a url to the server that runs our services, and we probably have an
> internal (protected) port for some of the services and an external
> (public) port for others. Before now, to set that up, we had to enter
> the same information over and over throughout our files to define the
> url and port for each service. Let's look at how we can accomplish that
> now ...
>
> First we need to define a section to hold our constants, we will use
> [Const]. Then we need to define our values there for the rest of the
> configuration to use.
>
> [Const]
>   BaseURL = http://example.com
>   PublicPort = 8002
>   PrivatePort = 8003
>
> Then, we use the syntax: ${Const|KeyName} to replace every instance of
> the value we wish to replace. Here are a few entries from the
> Robust.HG.ini to see how it works.
>
> [ServiceList]
>
> AssetServiceConnector =
> "${Const|PrivatePort}/OpenSim.Server.Handlers.dll:AssetServiceConnector"
> GridInfoServerInConnector =
> "${Const|
> PublicPort}/OpenSim.Server.Handlers.dll:GridInfoServerInConnector"
>

> [LoginService]
>
>     MapTileURL = ${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}/
>
>     SRV_HomeURI = "${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}"
>     SRV_InventoryServerURI = "${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}"
>     SRV_AssetServerURI = "${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}"
>     SRV_ProfileServerURI = "${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}"
>     SRV_FriendsServerURI = "${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}"
>     SRV_IMServerURI = "${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}"
>     SRV_GroupsServerURI = "${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PrivatePort}"
>

> When these are setup in the configuration file, then all that is needed
> is to set the values of the keys in the [Const] section.
>
> Thanks!
> BlueWall

Re: New configuration capabilities

Robert L martin
somebody really should have a set of config files with this setup
(maybe with localhost/default values?).

It would be great to be able to tell my Music Pastor that "Journey to
Bethlehem" Sim version just needs a single set of switches to be fixed
to go LIVE ON THE NET YEAR ROUND

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 8:33 PM, Melanie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That is a really nice and useful feature that should definitely make
> it into the default config files. It doesn't keep people who have
> scripted systems for configuration management from continuing to use
> them because this notation is not mandatory, it's just one more option.
>
> Melanie
>
> On 11/10/2014 02:36, James Hughes wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Commit c7a11899f6c5 contains a new feature to allow the creation and use
>> of constants in the ini files. I did not want to switch over the
>> examples without some discussion first because some my have automated
>> systems to configure their installations. This works for both OpenSim
>> and Robust.
>>
>> For an example, think about Robust configuration. Most of us probably
>> have a url to the server that runs our services, and we probably have an
>> internal (protected) port for some of the services and an external
>> (public) port for others. Before now, to set that up, we had to enter
>> the same information over and over throughout our files to define the
>> url and port for each service. Let's look at how we can accomplish that
>> now ...
>>
>> First we need to define a section to hold our constants, we will use
>> [Const]. Then we need to define our values there for the rest of the
>> configuration to use.
>>
>> [Const]
>>   BaseURL = http://example.com
>>   PublicPort = 8002
>>   PrivatePort = 8003
>>
>> Then, we use the syntax: ${Const|KeyName} to replace every instance of
>> the value we wish to replace. Here are a few entries from the
>> Robust.HG.ini to see how it works.
>>
>> [ServiceList]
>>
>> AssetServiceConnector =
>> "${Const|PrivatePort}/OpenSim.Server.Handlers.dll:AssetServiceConnector"
>> GridInfoServerInConnector =
>> "${Const|
>> PublicPort}/OpenSim.Server.Handlers.dll:GridInfoServerInConnector"
>>

>> [LoginService]
>>
>>     MapTileURL = ${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}/
>>
>>     SRV_HomeURI = "${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}"
>>     SRV_InventoryServerURI = "${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}"
>>     SRV_AssetServerURI = "${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}"
>>     SRV_ProfileServerURI = "${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}"
>>     SRV_FriendsServerURI = "${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}"
>>     SRV_IMServerURI = "${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}"
>>     SRV_GroupsServerURI = "${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PrivatePort}"
>>

>> When these are setup in the configuration file, then all that is needed
>> is to set the values of the keys in the [Const] section.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> BlueWall

Robert L Martin

On Sat, 2014-10-11 at 02:33 +0200, Melanie wrote:
> That is a really nice and useful feature that should definitely make
> it into the default config files. It doesn't keep people who have
> scripted systems for configuration management from continuing to use
> them because this notation is not mandatory, it's just one more option.
>
> Melanie

It passed through my automated system ok in testing. So, yeah. I have
been wanting to un-clutter some of the things in the ini files for a
while and wanted to throw that out there for thought. Can take all the
ideas here back and make some good changes to streamline things a
little.

On Fri, 2014-10-10 at 20:41 -0400, Robert Martin wrote:
> somebody really should have a set of config files with this setup
> (maybe with localhost/default values?).
>
> It would be great to be able to tell my Music Pastor that "Journey to
> Bethlehem" Sim version just needs a single set of switches to be fixed
> to go LIVE ON THE NET YEAR ROUND

That is the idea.

The things that pop out at me are urls, ports and paths for caching,
logging, etc.

What else?

Thanks,
BlueWall

Re: New configuration capabilities

Oren Hurvitz
Sound like a good idea. But I would prefer to see a simpler syntax: just ${BaseURL} (i.e., remove "Const|"). That's a syntax that is commonly used in many programming languages and template systems, and it makes the config files more readable.

Oren

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 4:18 AM, James Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 2014-10-10 at 20:41 -0400, Robert Martin wrote:
> somebody really should have a set of config files with this setup
> (maybe with localhost/default values?).
>
> It would be great to be able to tell my Music Pastor that "Journey to
> Bethlehem" Sim version just needs a single set of switches to be fixed
> to go LIVE ON THE NET YEAR ROUND

That is the idea.

The things that pop out at me are urls, ports and paths for caching,
logging, etc.

What else?

Thanks,
BlueWall

Oren Hurvitz
VP R&D
Kitely Ltd.

Email: [hidden email][hidden email]

On Sat, 2014-10-11 at 10:31 +0300, Oren Hurvitz wrote:
> Sound like a good idea. But I would prefer to see a simpler syntax:
> just ${BaseURL} (i.e., remove "Const|"). That's a syntax that is
> commonly used in many programming languages and template systems, and
> it makes the config files more readable.
>

> Oren

The "Const" is not needed if the value is used inside the section that
it is used in. The syntax is part of Nini and the feature has always
been part of that package. We just never had our code setup to use it.
Nini does not know about global key/value pairs, but compartmentalizes
all keys inside sections. Then they provide the${Section|Key} syntax to
allow us to to use values from any other defined section.

Thanks,
BlueWall

Re: New configuration capabilities

Shaun T. Erickson
Perhaps we could just call the "Const" section "C", which would reduce
the visual clutter considerably:

[C]
   ;Constants
   BaseURL =http://example.com
   PublicPort = 8002
   PrivatePort = 8003

[LoginService]

     MapTileURL = ${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}/

     SRV_HomeURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
     SRV_InventoryServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
     SRV_AssetServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
     SRV_ProfileServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
     SRV_FriendsServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
     SRV_IMServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
     SRV_GroupsServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PrivatePort}"

-ste

On 10/11/14, 8:34 AM, James Hughes wrote:

> On Sat, 2014-10-11 at 10:31 +0300, Oren Hurvitz wrote:
>> Sound like a good idea. But I would prefer to see a simpler syntax:
>> just ${BaseURL} (i.e., remove "Const|"). That's a syntax that is
>> commonly used in many programming languages and template systems, and
>> it makes the config files more readable.
> The "Const" is not needed if the value is used inside the section that
> it is used in. The syntax is part of Nini and the feature has always
> been part of that package. We just never had our code setup to use it.
> Nini does not know about global key/value pairs, but compartmentalizes
> all keys inside sections. Then they provide the${Section|Key} syntax to
> allow us to to use values from any other defined section.

Re: New configuration capabilities

Frank Nichols
Well, being a Mac/Objective C user, I would prefer a bit more descriptive label:

[ConstantsDefinedByMeForUseInMyMainOpenSImIniFileAndOthePlacesYetToBeDetermined]

On Oct 11, 2014, at 10:05 AM, Shaun T. Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:

[C]
 ;Constants
 BaseURL =http://example.com
 PublicPort = 8002
 PrivatePort = 8003

[LoginService]

   MapTileURL = ${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}/
    SRV_HomeURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
   SRV_InventoryServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
   SRV_AssetServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
   SRV_ProfileServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
   SRV_FriendsServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
   SRV_IMServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
   SRV_GroupsServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PrivatePort}"

Re: New configuration capabilities

Robert A. Knop Jr.
On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 11:05:37AM -0400, Frank Nichols wrote:
> Well, being a Mac/Objective C user, I would prefer a bit more descriptive label:
>
> [ConstantsDefinedByMeForUseInMyMainOpenSImIniFileAndOthePlacesYetToBeDetermined]

This would be way better with some characters whose unicode encoding is
more than one byte. :)

-Rob

--
--Rob Knop
  E-mail:    [hidden email]

On Sat, 2014-10-11 at 11:05 -0400, Frank Nichols wrote:

> Well, being a Mac/Objective C user, I would prefer a bit more
> descriptive label:
>

> [ConstantsDefinedByMeForUseInMyMainOpenSImIniFileAndOthePlacesYetToBeDetermined]
>  ;Constants
>  BaseURL =http://example.com
>  PublicPort = 8002
>  PrivatePort = 8003
>

> [LoginService]
>
>    MapTileURL = ${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}/
>     SRV_HomeURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>    SRV_InventoryServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>    SRV_AssetServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>    SRV_ProfileServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>    SRV_FriendsServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>    SRV_IMServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>    SRV_GroupsServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PrivatePort}”
>
> > On Oct 11, 2014, at 10:05 AM, Shaun T. Erickson <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > [C]
> >  ;Constants
> >  BaseURL =http://example.com
> >  PublicPort = 8002
> >  PrivatePort = 8003
> >

> > [LoginService]
> >
> >    MapTileURL = ${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}/
> >     SRV_HomeURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
> >    SRV_InventoryServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
> >    SRV_AssetServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
> >    SRV_ProfileServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
> >    SRV_FriendsServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
> >    SRV_IMServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
> >    SRV_GroupsServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PrivatePort}"

Haha,

What I have running here is actually in [Startup], then all my keys are
set to ${Startup|BasePath}, etc. So it can be used in any way desired.

What I'm thinking about is what essential items are needed to get the
simulator or robust started and what is the best way we can localize
those things into a single area so a new user can fire this off easily
without placing limits on what advanced users are able to do.

Thanks,
BlueWall

Re: New configuration capabilities

Robert L martin
my whole take on this is:

1 a tech working with a nontech person sets up a demo server on %localhost%
2 non tech person has fun playing with the sim and decides to "go
bigger" (%localnetwork%) and gets non tech people going
3 group decides this is great fun and then decides to "Share with the world"

so it would be best if a [bold]short[/bold] descriptive name was used
so that each level of unlock requires the minimum of fiddling

so we need
1 the serve[r|rs]
2 what ever controls the number and source of remote clients
3 the nam[e|es] that show up the various places
in the magic section
so that in my case i can flip from %localhost% and J2B demo to
168.1.1.20 and J2B SB Test landing up at J2B.salembaptistnow.org and
Journey to Bethlehem Online all without having to tell Pastor W that
things got broke and we need a couple days to fix thing.

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 12:42 PM, James Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 2014-10-11 at 11:05 -0400, Frank Nichols wrote:
>> Well, being a Mac/Objective C user, I would prefer a bit more
>> descriptive label:
>>

>> [ConstantsDefinedByMeForUseInMyMainOpenSImIniFileAndOthePlacesYetToBeDetermined]
>>  ;Constants
>>  BaseURL =http://example.com
>>  PublicPort = 8002
>>  PrivatePort = 8003
>>

>> [LoginService]
>>
>>    MapTileURL = ${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}/
>>     SRV_HomeURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>>    SRV_InventoryServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>>    SRV_AssetServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>>    SRV_ProfileServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>>    SRV_FriendsServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>>    SRV_IMServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>>    SRV_GroupsServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PrivatePort}”
>>
>> > On Oct 11, 2014, at 10:05 AM, Shaun T. Erickson <[hidden email]>
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> > [C]
>> >  ;Constants
>> >  BaseURL =http://example.com
>> >  PublicPort = 8002
>> >  PrivatePort = 8003
>> >

>> > [LoginService]
>> >
>> >    MapTileURL = ${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}/
>> >     SRV_HomeURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>> >    SRV_InventoryServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>> >    SRV_AssetServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>> >    SRV_ProfileServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>> >    SRV_FriendsServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>> >    SRV_IMServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>> >    SRV_GroupsServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PrivatePort}"
>> >

> Haha,
>
> What I have running here is actually in [Startup], then all my keys are
> set to ${Startup|BasePath}, etc. So it can be used in any way desired.
>
> What I'm thinking about is what essential items are needed to get the
> simulator or robust started and what is the best way we can localize
> those things into a single area so a new user can fire this off easily
> without placing limits on what advanced users are able to do.
>
> Thanks,
> BlueWall

Robert L Martin

Re: New configuration capabilities

Shaun T. Erickson
Frank was speaking tongue-in-cheek. :)

On 10/11/14, 1:42 PM, Robert Martin wrote:

> my whole take on this is:
>
> 1 a tech working with a nontech person sets up a demo server on %localhost%
> 2 non tech person has fun playing with the sim and decides to "go
> bigger" (%localnetwork%) and gets non tech people going
> 3 group decides this is great fun and then decides to "Share with the world"
>
> so it would be best if a [bold]short[/bold] descriptive name was used
> so that each level of unlock requires the minimum of fiddling
>
> so we need
> 1 the serve[r|rs]
> 2 what ever controls the number and source of remote clients
> 3 the nam[e|es] that show up the various places
> in the magic section
> so that in my case i can flip from %localhost% and J2B demo to
> 168.1.1.20 and J2B SB Test landing up at J2B.salembaptistnow.org and
> Journey to Bethlehem Online all without having to tell Pastor W that
> things got broke and we need a couple days to fix thing.
>
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 12:42 PM, James Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sat, 2014-10-11 at 11:05 -0400, Frank Nichols wrote:
>>> Well, being a Mac/Objective C user, I would prefer a bit more
>>> descriptive label:
>>>

>>> [ConstantsDefinedByMeForUseInMyMainOpenSImIniFileAndOthePlacesYetToBeDetermined]
>>>   ;Constants
>>>   BaseURL =http://example.com
>>>   PublicPort = 8002
>>>   PrivatePort = 8003
>>>

>>> [LoginService]
>>>
>>>     MapTileURL = ${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}/
>>>      SRV_HomeURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>>>     SRV_InventoryServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>>>     SRV_AssetServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>>>     SRV_ProfileServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>>>     SRV_FriendsServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>>>     SRV_IMServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PublicPort}"
>>>     SRV_GroupsServerURI = "${C|BaseURL}:${C|PrivatePort}”

>> Haha,
>>
>> What I have running here is actually in [Startup], then all my keys are
>> set to ${Startup|BasePath}, etc. So it can be used in any way desired.
>>
>> What I'm thinking about is what essential items are needed to get the
>> simulator or robust started and what is the best way we can localize
>> those things into a single area so a new user can fire this off easily
>> without placing limits on what advanced users are able to do.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> BlueWall

Re: New configuration capabilities

Kevin Cozens
On 11/10/2014 3:31 AM, Oren Hurvitz wrote:
> Sound like a good idea. But I would prefer to see a simpler syntax: justÂ
> ${BaseURL} (i.e., remove "Const|").

The proposed syntax with section and key sounds very useful. Trying to
simplify the syntax to only have a key reference won't work as you could
have different sections with the same key which could lead to getting the
wrong value as it wouldn't have a way to know which one you wanted.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick