Ok, I was mistaken

Mike Dickson-2
So in closer review the number of changes is very small for the "monster
commit" but the commit history wasn't.  Probably because of the way git
is being used.  Apologies for shouting fire when there wasn't one.  I
still wish the team would adopt a more current development process and
use branches and git as intended. It would make this less confusing. But
I apologize if I caused any alarm.'

Mike

Re: Ok, I was mistaken

Melanie-2
Hi,

that commit is a merge commit, a git artefact without meaning.

Consider that I work in my clone of the repository, and I make changes. At the same time someone else makes changes.

Now I can't push because I'm not up to date, so I have to pull first. Since I have commits myself, the pull causes a merge because it's not fast-forward.

That merge is the commit you see, the one after that is the one I really made. The merge commit is just one of git's things it does.

- Melanie

---- On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 17:35:04 +0000 Mike Dickson <mailto:[hidden email]> wrote ----

So in closer review the number of changes is very small for the "monster
commit" but the commit history wasn't.  Probably because of the way git
is being used.  Apologies for shouting fire when there wasn't one.  I
still wish the team would adopt a more current development process and
use branches and git as intended. It would make this less confusing. But
I apologize if I caused any alarm.'

Mike

Re: Ok, I was mistaken

Mike Dickson-2
Normally you'd do what you describe on a branch and rebase or do a
squash commit from the branch. Ideally it would all be done with a merge
request from a branch back into master (honestly the only thing that I'd
do off of master is releases, I'd integrate into "develop" - aka git
flow -  but that's been raised and rejected before).  But I haven't seen
any real use of branches so I should have guessed that's what happened.
I've been using git for many years and know it pretty well.  Anyway I
misunderstood what was happening from the viewgit history and figured it
out with a pointer from Bill and checking out commits serially.

Mike