OpenSim - New Mumble/Murmur Module

Terry Ford
Hi All,

Digital Worlds Group, LLC has recently contracted with a viewer developer to help us to create a new Murmur/Mumble Voice solution for OpenSim.
We have most of this solution ready for use, but it does need some further work.

The solution requires viewer code, opensim code, and the murmur server to be installed and used.
We currently have a version of Firestorm with the required code.
This viewer code will be on a publicly accessible git repository for all to access and should be easy for all other viewers to grab and include in those releases as well.

This solution uses the latest available release of the Murmur Server.

We plan to release the OpenSim code as Open Source as well, and intended on using a BSD 3 clause license, but we want to ensure that any and all future changes to this code are contributed back to the community.
We hope our code will be included into OpenSim core so that everyone can benefit, but we want to know if anyone would take issue with an included clause that specify all changes to the code be contributed back to the core?

Commercial or private use of the code will be permitted for any use, without exclusions, but we want to make sure that everyone can benefit from any changes others make as well, making this a true community owned project.

Anyone have any reservations about such a declaration in our license?

Thanks.

Re: OpenSim - New Mumble/Murmur Module

Nick Zwart - 3DLES

Hi Terry,

This is very very good news!
Can you tell some more...
Does it work like the Vivox, with white dots and green waves above the head of the avatar? And positional audio? Can we see the active speakers in the list? IM call?

Nick

Re: OpenSim - New Mumble/Murmur Module

Nihlaeth-2
Hey Terry,
I can't say how happy I am to see this! Can't wait to test it out.

Are you planning on incorporating IM/chat as well besides voice? That would be a viable alternative to the (broken) IRC bridge module to which I still have to submit a patch...

Tamara

Re: OpenSim - New Mumble/Murmur Module

Mike Chase
Honestly, these kinds of "special" clauses can cause all kinds of trouble.  It's effectively a new license which in some settings can trigger additional review, etc.

It sounds like excellent work and I sure respect your desire to encourage others to contribute changes back to the project.   That's the spirit of the original BSD License IMO.  And the foundation leaders would have to address whether they can accept the additional clause.  I'd really encourage you however to contribute what you've done under the plain BSD license without your additional clause if you can stomach that.  It would greatly ease adoption IMO.

Mike

On 1/4/15 8:39 PM, Terry Ford wrote:
[...]

Frank Nichols
Sadly, I have to agree. The work should be submitted with the bsd and no additional restrictions. I appreciate you desires, but it is hard enough to get things added without complicating the license.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

On Jan 5, 2015, at 9:31 AM, Mike Chase <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

James Hughes

This is good news and I would love to see the code in core OpenSim. Here
are the rules that govern submission of code to the project:

 http://www.overte.org/faq.html
 http://www.overte.org/contribution-agreement.html
 http://www.overte.org/ip-rights-grant.html

These rules have served us well in the past as evidenced by the
longevity and user base of OpenSimulator and also by the wealth of code
that has been entrusted to the project by countless others. The license
which OpenSimulator is distributed under allows much freedom and does
not encumber anyone with requirements that would possibly be detrimental
to their projects. While it does open the possibility that one might
make private modifications to the code, it also ensures that one can
safely use the code to base important projects on within a framework of
terms that allow for minimal legal entanglements. Allowing one exception
to these rules pollutes the philosophy, encumbering all users who
currently base projects on OpenSimulator and opens the door for more
exceptions, which would destroy any confidence in the project as a base
for serious work.

OpenSimulator has been made significantly better by contributions from
countless others in the way of both new functionality and bug fixes. I
am confident your new work would benefit from the same attention that
other works in the codebase have seen in improvements and functionality
over time.

What all that said, hopefully you will consider the value of all the
code within the OpenSimulator project and why it is useful to so many
and see that the best way to contribute is within the framework that we
all have so far.

-BlueWall

On Sun, 2015-01-04 at 20:39 -0500, Terry Ford wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Digital Worlds Group, LLC has recently contracted with a viewer
> developer to help us to create a new Murmur/Mumble Voice solution for
> OpenSim.
> We have most of this solution ready for use, but it does need some
> further work.
>
> The solution requires viewer code, opensim code, and the murmur server
> to be installed and used.
> We currently have a version of Firestorm with the required code.
> This viewer code will be on a publicly accessible git repository for
> all to access and should be easy for all other viewers to grab and
> include in those releases as well.
>
> This solution uses the latest available release of the Murmur Server.
>
> We plan to release the OpenSim code as Open Source as well, and
> intended on using a BSD 3 clause license, but we want to ensure that
> any and all future changes to this code are contributed back to the
> community.
> We hope our code will be included into OpenSim core so that everyone
> can benefit, but we want to know if anyone would take issue with an
> included clause that specify all changes to the code be contributed
> back to the core?
>
> Commercial or private use of the code will be permitted for any use,
> without exclusions, but we want to make sure that everyone can benefit
> from any changes others make as well, making this a true community
> owned project.
>
> Anyone have any reservations about such a declaration in our license?
>
> Thanks.

Re: OpenSim - New Mumble/Murmur Module

Diva Canto
This sounds really exciting!

I'm not familiar with that clause you mention to BSD but it reads effectively like an LGPL license. I think that will be a problem for inclusion in core. We could include a dll, but given that the OpenSim API is still very unstable, that's probably not a good option at this point.

However, starting in the upcoming release, we will have a proper package manager in place: mono addins and its mautil tool. What this means is that it will be much easier for people to distribute extensions to opensim without having to include them in the core distribution. I, for one, am planning to make extensive use of this.

As such, you can have your Mumble module available in source code using whatever license you want, and available as a [binary] package from your own repository that is very easy for ppl to install and update -- as long as you keep producing updated packages. See:
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Developing_OpenSim_Addins

On 1/4/2015 5:39 PM, Terry Ford wrote:
[...]

justincc
Hi Terry.  This sounds like really interesting work and look forward to seeing it.

However, we can only accept code into OpenSimulator core under the three clause BSD license.  The extra clause you are
talking about sounds much more like an AGPL license [1].  That particular license requires any changes to be distributed
if a service is provided over the network (as opposed to the GPL, where sources are only required if a binary is
distributed).

I will try not to get into the ideological aspects of this.  There are pros and cons - for instance, an AGPL like
license may make more code available than would otherwise be the case, but it also scares off contributors who fear its
affect on any code they don't want to release (this has been the case for corps such as IBM).

In practice, the BSD approach appears to have served us well.  It does lead to a split with any *GPL licensed code as it
can't be contributed to core (apart from LGPL binaries or those with FLOSS exceptions).  I would say this is one of the
reasons why the previous GPL licensed Mumble module is not more widely used, though even this may change with the
improvements/implementation of the OpenSimulator/Mono.Addins package management system that Diva talks about elsewhere.

The contribution agreement that James references below is one we require when significant new features are contributed
(other core developers have these on file).  It doesn't require any copyright assignment (the owner continues to own the
code) but it has certain extra clauses assuring that the code is not derived from inappropriate sources (e.g. GPL'd
code) and that any required patent licenses are granted (similar to the Apache open-source license).  The IP rights
grant is where any patent licenses are provided back to anybody downloading the code.

If you do choose to go with a license other than BSD, I would urge you to use a recognized OSI license [2].  And in
principle, one can have a BSD licensed region module and all other Mumble parts under another license, though this may
affect whether it could be accepted into core.  Of course, the Vivox module is in core and that is for a completely
proprietary service...

The improvements/impl of OpenSimulator package management/Mono.Addins may make it more viable to keep a module outside
of core yet make it reasonably easy for people to automatically download and install.  Again, this has pros (you retain
complete control, use what license you like) and cons (no automatic fixes if core changes, lower visibility).

Best,

Justin

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affero_General_Public_License
[2] http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Organization#Membership

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
OSVW Consulting

Re: OpenSim - New Mumble/Murmur Module

Melanie-2
Hi Terry,

it's gone quiet around this voice solution - is it still going to
become available?

- Melanie

On 05/01/2015 02:39, Terry Ford wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Digital Worlds Group, LLC has recently contracted with a viewer
> developer to help us to create a new Murmur/Mumble Voice solution for
> OpenSim.
> We have most of this solution ready for use, but it does need some
> further work.
>
> The solution requires viewer code, opensim code, and the murmur server
> to be installed and used.
> We currently have a version of Firestorm with the required code.
> This viewer code will be on a publicly accessible git repository for all
> to access and should be easy for all other viewers to grab and include
> in those releases as well.
>
> This solution uses the latest available release of the Murmur Server.
>
> We plan to release the OpenSim code as Open Source as well, and intended
> on using a BSD 3 clause license, but we want to ensure that any and all
> future changes to this code are contributed back to the community.
> We hope our code will be included into OpenSim core so that everyone can
> benefit, but we want to know if anyone would take issue with an included
> clause that specify all changes to the code be contributed back to the core?
>
> Commercial or private use of the code will be permitted for any use,
> without exclusions, but we want to make sure that everyone can benefit
> from any changes others make as well, making this a true community owned
> project.
>
> Anyone have any reservations about such a declaration in our license?
>
> Thanks.

Re: OpenSim - New Mumble/Murmur Module

Terry Ford-2
Hello Melanie,

Thanks for asking about it.
We had some early success on a windows based viewer, but ran into some snags.
Cinder was working on it and ran into some issues with qt and we eventually shelved it and I purchased a VIVOX license instead.
We had a working OpenSim module installed and working and a custom Firestorm viewer with the needed changes.
We had very sporadic luck with a mac version - it was very problematic.

Later, Douglas @ MOSES offered to help, but went on to something else instead so no work was done there by him or his team that I'm aware of.

There was some talk recently about revisiting it, but some birdies are talking about some potential LL changes to how SLVoice is going to work and we thought we'd wait and see how that shakes out.

I'm sure Cinder could point you to the code if you're interested in taking a look at it.
I think it would be wonderful for a mumble/murmur solution to be available to the community.

Thanks,
~Terry

On 9/28/2015 3:49 PM, Melanie wrote:
[...]

the best way to get hands and eyes on a project is to publish it.
You never did post any links but I'm sure the community would do the
rest of the needed work if you just posted what you have now.

- Melanie

On 28/09/2015 23:14, Terry Ford wrote:

> [...]
>>> in those releases as well.
>>>
>>> This solution uses the latest available release of the Murmur Server.
>>>
>>> We plan to release the OpenSim code as Open Source as well, and intended
>>> on using a BSD 3 clause license, but we want to ensure that any and all
>>> future changes to this code are contributed back to the community.
>>> We hope our code will be included into OpenSim core so that everyone can
>>> benefit, but we want to know if anyone would take issue with an included
>>> clause that specify all changes to the code be contributed back to the core?
>>>
>>> Commercial or private use of the code will be permitted for any use,
>>> without exclusions, but we want to make sure that everyone can benefit
>>> from any changes others make as well, making this a true community owned
>>> project.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any reservations about such a declaration in our license?

Hi Melanie,

I'll get with Cinder and see if we can clean up what we have and make it available.

~Terry

On 9/28/2015 6:59 PM, Melanie wrote:
[...]

Re: OpenSim - New Mumble/Murmur Module (UNCLASSIFIED)

Maxwell, Douglas CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US)
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

After some investigation on the VOIP issues with MUMBLE/Murmur module, we
decided it was not worth the effort.  We are currently designing and
implementing an HTML5 based viewer and have focused our front end energies
there.

v/r -doug

Douglas Maxwell, Ph.D.
Science and Technology Manager
Virtual World Strategic Applications
U.S. Army Research Lab
Simulation & Training Technology Center (STTC)
(c) (407) 242-0209

This email was sent from a non-Department of Defense email account, and
contained active links. All links are disabled, and require you to copy and
paste the address to a Web browser. Please verify the identity of the
sender, and confirm authenticity of all links contained within the message.

[...]

---------------------
Terry Ford
DigiWorldz Grid
Caution-digiworldz.com

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: OpenSim - New Mumble/Murmur Module (UNCLASSIFIED)

Ai Austin-2
Maxwell, Douglas CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US)
>After some investigation on the VOIP issues with MUMBLE/Murmur module, we
>decided it was not worth the effort.  We are currently designing and
>implementing an HTML5 based viewer and have focused our front end energies
>there.

Doug, for the current voice setup in MOSES... is that using Freeswitch?

Re: OpenSim - New Mumble/Murmur Module (UNCLASSIFIED)

Maxwell, Douglas CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US)
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

@Austin: yes, we currently use Freeswitch in the MOSES grid.  This is not an optimal solution, but it works.

Complete instructions for how to replicate the MOSES grid deployment (including VOIP) can be found here:
http://militarymetaverse.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/MIAB_Installation_Instructions_using_Virtual_Box_and_Ubuntu-141006.pdf

Right now, most of the MOSES team is focused on GPU implementation of PhysX & off-board physics calculations.  The Inworldz code will likely provide us with a significant leap in scripting performance once we complete the code review and integration.  Next we'll tackle client management.

I currently have one person tasked part time with work on the HTML5 client, so there will likely be slow progress on client work until we finish the server side improvements.  If someone wants to take a look at our designs and lend a hand, feel free to contact me.

v/r -doug

Douglas Maxwell, Ph.D.
Science and Technology Manager
Virtual World Strategic Applications
U.S. Army Research Lab
Simulation & Training Technology Center (STTC)
(c) (407) 242-0209

This email was sent from a non-Department of Defense email account, and contained active links. All links are disabled, and require you to copy and paste the address to a Web browser. Please verify the identity of the sender, and confirm authenticity of all links contained within the message.

Maxwell, Douglas CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US)
>After some investigation on the VOIP issues with MUMBLE/Murmur module,
>we decided it was not worth the effort.  We are currently designing and
>implementing an HTML5 based viewer and have focused our front end
>energies there.

Doug, for the current voice setup in MOSES... is that using Freeswitch?

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Re: OpenSim - New Mumble/Murmur Module (UNCLASSIFIED)

Toni Alatalo-2
@Douglas Maxwell, we are using WebGL quite a lot (mostly with three.js) and made a VW client that way against realXtend's Tundra server. Have thought web clients for Opensimulator too and know about writing Opensimulator clients in general from before.

I can't promise actual development work but would be glad to have a look & comment on the designs if have something to say. Am getting public funding for open source VW Web client dev too (from EU & University of Oulu separately) so feel obligated as well :)

Sometimes the possibilities of using same client techs with different servers (e.g. Tundra & Opensimulator, perhaps others?) has been discussed too -- I don't know if that would ever actually make sense but would be interesting as then we could really collaborate. Of course taking a look at the designs helps to evaluate that a bit too.

~Toni

BTW: The U.S. Department of Defense sponsors also another (or well I don't know how many :) Web based virtual framework -- am curious about it but never looked really closely yet, I guess your efforts are not related or? https://virtual.wf/

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 2:44 PM, Maxwell, Douglas CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

(c) <a href="tel:%28407%29%20242-0209" value="+14072420209">(407) 242-0209

This email was sent from a non-Department of Defense email account, and contained active links. All links are disabled, and require you to copy and paste the address to a Web browser. Please verify the identity of the sender, and confirm authenticity of all links contained within the message.

Maxwell, Douglas CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US)
>After some investigation on the VOIP issues with MUMBLE/Murmur module,
>we decided it was not worth the effort.  We are currently designing and
>implementing an HTML5 based viewer and have focused our front end
>energies there.

Doug, for the current voice setup in MOSES... is that using Freeswitch?

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Re: OpenSim - New Mumble/Murmur Module

Melanie-2
*ping*

There is renewed interest because at least one country has blocked
access to Vivox' servers. You never did say anything about this
cleanup. It really doesn't even need cleaning up, the community will
do that if you only release it.

- Melanie

On 29/09/2015 01:01, Terry Ford wrote:

> Hi Melanie,
>
> I'll get with Cinder and see if we can clean up what we have and make it
> available.
>
> ~Terry
>
> On 9/28/2015 6:59 PM, Melanie wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the best way to get hands and eyes on a project is to publish it.
>> You never did post any links but I'm sure the community would do the
>> rest of the needed work if you just posted what you have now.
>>
>> - Melanie
>>
>> On 28/09/2015 23:14, Terry Ford wrote:
>>> Hello Melanie,
>>>
>>> Thanks for asking about it.
>>> We had some early success on a windows based viewer, but ran into some
>>> snags.
>>> Cinder was working on it and ran into some issues with qt and we
>>> eventually shelved it and I purchased a VIVOX license instead.
>>> We had a working OpenSim module installed and working and a custom
>>> Firestorm viewer with the needed changes.
>>> We had very sporadic luck with a mac version - it was very problematic.
>>>
>>> Later, Douglas @ MOSES offered to help, but went on to something else
>>> instead so no work was done there by him or his team that I'm aware of.
>>>
>>> There was some talk recently about revisiting it, but some birdies are
>>> talking about some potential LL changes to how SLVoice is going to work
>>> and we thought we'd wait and see how that shakes out.
>>>
>>> I'm sure Cinder could point you to the code if you're interested in
>>> taking a look at it.
>>> I think it would be wonderful for a mumble/murmur solution to be
>>> available to the community.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> ~Terry

Re: OpenSim - New Mumble/Murmur Module

Terry Ford-2
Hello Melanie,

The links I have to the code can be found here...

This is the code found on Cinder's bitbucket account for the Firestorm Viewer...
https://bitbucket.org/cinderblocks/firestorm-mumble

The code for the opensim module can be found here....
http://www.digiworldz.com/Mumbler/cinderblocks-mumbler.zip

As I said.. it's been shelved for some time now but we did have some success with this working using the Firestorm Viewer listed above on windows.

~Terry
aka: Butch Arnold
DigiWorldz.com

On 1/15/2016 2:09 PM, Melanie wrote:
[...]

Cinder Roxley
Hi,

The OpenSim voice module itself is pretty solid, however, the way it generates a password for the murmur server is anything but secure. That could use some work. We decided to add caps for mumble itself rather than use the vivox capabilities for talking to the viewer so that both voice solutions could be deployed and run on the same simulator at the same time. (Though they do not work in tandem. Vivox chatters can’t hear mumble chatters and vice versa.)

The viewer code works fairly well, there are changes upstream that will require it to be changed a bit. I, personally, don’t think the way vivox and Linden Lab chose to have the voice daemon communicate with the viewer, but such as it is, it’s there.

The real bulk of the work left is with the mumble voice daemon itself. I began by reverse engineering the slvoice client and peeking at the sample client source code vivox provides and retrofitting comms for the viewer to control the mumble client the way it does with slvoice. However, the mumble client itself is a curiously written Qt app, and turning a Qt app into a more generic daemon process with no gui isn’t an easy process, plus with the relicensing this week of Qt to LGPL3, it would be of more benefit and less of a license fiasco to tackle this from the other end by creating the voice daemon out of libmumble rather than the monster mumble client.

I’d be happy and willing to assist in any efforts to complete this since much time and effort has already been invested in this.

--
Cinder Roxley
Sent with Airmail

On January 15, 2016 at 1:24:16 PM, Terry Ford ([hidden email]) wrote:

[...]

Just in case it's needed... if you need something more official let me know.
There was no license included with the OpenSim module with this code.
DigiWorldz, LLC owns the code for the OpenSim Module presented in the link for the cinderblocks-Mumbler module (http://www.digiworldz.com/Mumbler/cinderblocks-mumbler.zip).

As owners of this code, DigiWorldz hearby donates this code to the OpenSimulator Project.

Dated: 1/15/2016
Signed: Terry Ford