PhysX Release Annoucement

Sean M

Greetings:

The MOSES Team has completed integrating the Nvidia’s PhysX 3.33 physics engine into OpenSim. The source-code and documentation will soon be made available on our public GitHub repository.

Those who adopt the released code will have a new physics engine option for their regions, in addition to ODE and BulletSim.

The new PhysX capability provides cross-platform, optimized code that supports real-time, multi-threaded physics calculations. From repeated stress-testing, PhysX has supported more than 83% additional physical objects and nearly half frame time (44%) than Bullet*.

We have also included the ability to run physics in "distributed mode". Distributed physics allows for the physics engine to be executed on a completely separate server from the rest of the OpenSim application. Under the right hardware and networking conditions, distributed mode can increase the maximum number of users and objects in a region.

Soon we will share our completed work with the rest of the community. Once available, please feel free to interact with the new engine, analyze the source-code, pull from our repository, and share advancements.

Best regards,
Sean Mondesire
MOSES Team

[*] Single-threaded PhysX averaged 3,300 physical objects when the SimFPS first dropped below 9 frames per second (FPS) after 30 independent runs. Same-thread BulletSim supported 1,800 physical objects at the same FPS. No frame rate correction factor was used during testing. Although SimFPS remained 11.33 when BulletSim ran on a separate thread, this physics mode supported 600 fewer physical objects than BulletSim-on-the-same-thread before the simulator’s performance began to noticeably degrade. It was concluded that separate-threaded BulletSim was the least stable mode of the Bullet/PhysX physics engines, produced the highest frame times for equal loads, and is not recommended as a physics configuration for regions with more than 1,000 physical Active Prims.

Re: PhysX Release Annoucement

Cinder Roxley
Looking forward to seeing it, Sean! Nice work.

--
Cinder Roxley
Sent with Airmail

On April 11, 2016 at 9:19:44 AM, Sean M ([hidden email]) wrote:

[...]

BoneZ
Great news!
If this built against the old 8.2 code, or the current 9.0 trunk?

On 4/11/2016 11:19 AM, Sean M wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the responses Cinder and BoneZ.

The PhysX integration is coded into OpenSim 8.2.

All the best,
Sean Mondesire