Procedural Animation

MiloudEloumri
Hi, I am new to opensim. Can somebody help me to know about opensim character animation system. How it works? Does is support on-the-fly animation (procedural animation). Thanks.

Re: Procedural Animation

Alan Tupper
Hi there, welcome.

Opensimulator uses BVH files for animation.  These are uploaded by users to a grid's asset storage and streamed down as-needed to clients.  It is possible to layer animations by utilizing different priority levels for different animations.  To my knowledge, there's no capacity as of now to perform or utilize procedural animations.  There have been some experiments conducted with live transmission of mocap data, but nothing like active IK/FK animation.

Hope this helps!

Re: Procedural Animation

MiloudEloumri
Hi, Thank you for replying. Yes, it was helpful. I read about NINJA Physics project and realXtend OpenSim plugin for direct joint access and control, but it seems these experiments are no longer active or supported.

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 1:56 AM, Alan Tupper [via opensim-dev] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there, welcome.

Opensimulator uses BVH files for animation.  These are uploaded by users to a grid's asset storage and streamed down as-needed to clients.  It is possible to layer animations by utilizing different priority levels for different animations.  To my knowledge, there's no capacity as of now to perform or utilize procedural animations.  There have been some experiments conducted with live transmission of mocap data, but nothing like active IK/FK animation.

Hope this helps!

http://opensim-dev.2196679.n2.nabble.com/Procedural-Animation-tp7580569p7580589.html
To start a new topic under opensim-dev, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Procedural Animation, click here.
NAML

Re: Procedural Animation

MiloudEloumri
Hi, Thank you for replying. Yes, it was helpful. I read about NINJA Physics project and realXtend OpenSim plugin for direct joint access and control, but it seems these experiments are no longer active or supported.

Re: Procedural Animation

Alan Tupper
RealXtend split away and became it's own platform based solely off of an entity-component framework.  Thanks for reminding me about NINJA, it's been a while since I've seen that floating around.  Personally, I feel like procedural and parametric animations would be a big boon for Opensim, but it's a matter of getting all the ducks in a row, and pushing something all the way through to something usable.

There was a protocol change made a while back to allow for generic UDP messages outside the standard LL protocol, I wonder if that could help with the NINJA project.  I'm not familiar enough with that project to know for certain what led to it being abandoned.

Re: Procedural Animation

MiloudEloumri
NINJA Physics was introduced as an extension and enhancement to ODE aiming to provide joint access and control. NINJA Physics has no updates since 2008. OpenSim has recently adapted Bullet Physics Engine as the default engine instead of ODE. It appears that NINJA Physics is no longer active since it is based on ODE. I read about a team called Three NINJA who is making development in Unity 3D Mecanim system. I am wondering if it is the same team of NINJA Physics or not.