Proposal: Killing off AvatarFactory

Stefan Andersson
It's kind of crazy that we have a RegionModule (AvatarFactoryModule) that really just look up the CommsManager AvatarService and forwards a request to that.

I propose we either modularize the whole thing (the prefferrable thing) or merge the AvatarFactory module code into the IAvatarService.

If nobody has objected strongly until Jan 2 2009, I will mantis this.

Best regards,
Stefan Andersson
Tribal Media AB

Re: Proposal: Killing off AvatarFactory

Ryan McDougall-2
On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Stefan Andersson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's kind of crazy that we have a RegionModule (AvatarFactoryModule) that
> really just look up the CommsManager AvatarService and forwards a request to
> that.
>
> I propose we either modularize the whole thing (the prefferrable thing) or
> merge the AvatarFactory module code into the IAvatarService.
>
> If nobody has objected strongly until Jan 2 2009, I will mantis this.
>
> Best regards,
> Stefan Andersson
> Tribal Media AB

+1 to the general house-cleaning effort!

Hiphip-hurrah!

Cheers,

Re: Proposal: Killing off AvatarFactory

Teravus Ovares
Ryan..     all about house cleaning. :)

On 1/26/09, Ryan McDougall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Stefan Andersson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It's kind of crazy that we have a RegionModule (AvatarFactoryModule) that
> > really just look up the CommsManager AvatarService and forwards a request to
> > that.
> >
> > I propose we either modularize the whole thing (the prefferrable thing) or
> > merge the AvatarFactory module code into the IAvatarService.
> >
> > If nobody has objected strongly until Jan 2 2009, I will mantis this.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Stefan Andersson
> > Tribal Media AB
>
> +1 to the general house-cleaning effort!
>
> Hiphip-hurrah!
>
> Cheers,

Re: Proposal: Killing off AvatarFactory

Ryan McDougall-2
HA! Tell that to the pile of empties in my kitchen!

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Teravus Ovares <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ryan..     all about house cleaning. :)
>

> On 1/26/09, Ryan McDougall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Stefan Andersson
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > It's kind of crazy that we have a RegionModule (AvatarFactoryModule) that
>> > really just look up the CommsManager AvatarService and forwards a request to
>> > that.
>> >
>> > I propose we either modularize the whole thing (the prefferrable thing) or
>> > merge the AvatarFactory module code into the IAvatarService.
>> >
>> > If nobody has objected strongly until Jan 2 2009, I will mantis this.
>> >
>> > Best regards,
>> > Stefan Andersson
>> > Tribal Media AB
>>
>> +1 to the general house-cleaning effort!
>>
>> Hiphip-hurrah!
>>
>> Cheers,

Re: Proposal: Killing off AvatarFactory

Stefan Andersson
In the beginning of OpenSim, I went under the nickname 'the housekeeper'. Nice to see people are taking over.

* hands over the broom *

Best regards,
Stefan Andersson
Tribal Media AB

> Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 03:25:48 -0500
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Proposal: Killing off AvatarFactory
>
> Ryan.. all about house cleaning. :)
>

> On 1/26/09, Ryan McDougall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Stefan Andersson
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > It's kind of crazy that we have a RegionModule (AvatarFactoryModule) that
> > > really just look up the CommsManager AvatarService and forwards a request to
> > > that.
> > >
> > > I propose we either modularize the whole thing (the prefferrable thing) or
> > > merge the AvatarFactory module code into the IAvatarService.
> > >
> > > If nobody has objected strongly until Jan 2 2009, I will mantis this.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Stefan Andersson
> > > Tribal Media AB
> >
> > +1 to the general house-cleaning effort!
> >
> > Hiphip-hurrah!
> >
> > Cheers,

Re: Proposal: Killing off AvatarFactory

mw-2
My preference is that we modulariSe the whole avatar creation, its much more flexible.

Also on that subject I suggest we move the server side avatar data from the user server to one of the other servers (most likely the inventory server). I don't think it should be in the user server for a number of reasons. But one reason we have came across is wanting to share a single user server with multiple grids. I think the user server really should just be account infomation.

But anyway back onto the AvatarFactoryModule, yes if we aren't going to modularise it then we should just move it all to IAvatarService. No point in having the current half way solution.

Also I think the process should even a more general, start modularising the whole of the CommsManager.

But not sure anyone is going to be able to give a +1 or -1 on any idea before "Jan 2 2009" ;)

Stefan Andersson <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's kind of crazy that we have a RegionModule (AvatarFactoryModule) that really just look up the CommsManager AvatarService and forwards a request to that.

I propose we either modularize the whole thing (the prefferrable thing) or merge the AvatarFactory module code into the IAvatarService.

If nobody has objected strongly until Jan 2 2009, I will mantis this.

Best regards,
Stefan Andersson
Tribal Media AB

Re: Proposal: Killing off AvatarFactory

Teravus Ovares
* watches MW and stefan catch each other's spelling mistakes*

:D

-T

On 1/26/09, MW <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My preference is that we modulariSe the whole avatar creation, its much more
> flexible.
>
> Also on that subject I suggest we move the server side avatar data from the
> user server to one of the other servers (most likely the inventory server).
> I don't think it should be in the user server for a number of reasons. But
> one reason we have came across is wanting to share a single user server with
> multiple grids. I think the user server really should just be account
> infomation.
>
> But anyway back onto the AvatarFactoryModule, yes if we aren't going to
> modularise it then we should just move it all to IAvatarService. No point in
> having the current half way solution.
>
> Also I think the process should even a more general, start modularising the
> whole of the CommsManager.
>
> But not sure anyone is going to be able to give a +1 or -1 on any idea
> before "Jan 2 2009" ;)
>
> Stefan Andersson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's kind of crazy that we have a RegionModule (AvatarFactoryModule) that
> really just look up the CommsManager AvatarService and forwards a request to
> that.
>
> I propose we either modularize the whole thing (the prefferrable thing) or
> merge the AvatarFactory module code into the IAvatarService.
>
> If nobody has objected strongly until Jan 2 2009, I will mantis this.
>
> Best regards,
> Stefan Andersson
> Tribal Media AB

Re: Proposal: Killing off AvatarFactory