Question on What is meant to happen with Offline IMs between Hypergrid Connected Grids

Question on What is meant to happen with Offline IMs between Hypergrid Connected Grids

Ai Austin-2
Instant messaging, profiles, and ss on all work pretty well between
up top date grids now over the hypergrid..

The OSGrid profile mechanism is not compatible and al;ways reports
"unable to fetch profile data at this time" but otherwise profiles
seem to work pretty smoothly.

Assuming the default built in mechanism "Offline IM V2" and that its
enable,  I am not sure IM and Offline IM quite works as you might
expect... to pi this down can we establish what its MEANT to do.

If a HG visitor sends an IM on a grid it is delivered instantly if
the recipient is online, or stored for later successful delivery if
the recipnet is offline.

If one grid sends an IM to the user on the other grid, e.g. replying
to an earliest sent IM, or initiating an IM from a friends list, ifb
the other user is online on the other grid when its send its delivered.

BUT... if a sender on one grid tries to send an IM to a foreign grid
recipient is not online and on their home grid at the time a message
is sent, its NOT stored for later delivery.  Instead the sender gets
the message

      (busy response): Unable to send instant message. User is not logged in.

Would we expect that to work and its a bug if it does not.... or
should it be made to work one day by using the offline IM mechanism
in the sender or receiver grids to pas it over to await the recipient
coming online?

Re: Question on What is meant to happen with Offline IMs between Hypergrid Connected Grids

Tom Frost
On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 09:40:31AM +0000, Ai Austin wrote:

> BUT... if a sender on one grid tries to send an IM to a foreign grid
> recipient is not online and on their home grid at the time a message
> is sent, its NOT stored for later delivery.  Instead the sender gets
> the message
>
>      (busy response): Unable to send instant message. User is not logged in.
>
> Would we expect that to work and its a bug if it does not.... or
> should it be made to work one day by using the offline IM mechanism
> in the sender or receiver grids to pas it over to await the
> recipient coming online?

In addition, I find that when both users are online, but not on their
home grid, IM often fails with that same message. That's just a hunch
though and I can't substantiate that claim with extensive test results.

There's all kinds of corner-cases like that. I've been meaning to try
and find out what combinations do and don't work, perhaps it would be
good to do this in a structured way. I have an inkling that there's more
involved than just being on a foreign grid or not, the settings of the
particular grids users are on seem to have something to do with it too.
That is, sometimes, IM's do work when both users are on a foreign grid,
but given another set of foreign grids it won't work..

- Tom

Re: Question on What is meant to happen with Offline IMs between Hypergrid Connected Grids

R.Gunther
OfflineIM is broken for a long time on hypergrid. The message arrive at
the other grid. in this case
my own grid i have test it with. But it never get send to the avatar
this is with V2 http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=7531

On 07 Dec 2015 10:50, Tom Frost wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 09:40:31AM +0000, Ai Austin wrote:
>> BUT... if a sender on one grid tries to send an IM to a foreign grid
>> recipient is not online and on their home grid at the time a message
>> is sent, its NOT stored for later delivery.  Instead the sender gets
>> the message
>>
>>       (busy response): Unable to send instant message. User is not logged in.
>>
>> Would we expect that to work and its a bug if it does not.... or
>> should it be made to work one day by using the offline IM mechanism
>> in the sender or receiver grids to pas it over to await the
>> recipient coming online?
> In addition, I find that when both users are online, but not on their
> home grid, IM often fails with that same message. That's just a hunch
> though and I can't substantiate that claim with extensive test results.
>
> There's all kinds of corner-cases like that. I've been meaning to try
> and find out what combinations do and don't work, perhaps it would be
> good to do this in a structured way. I have an inkling that there's more
> involved than just being on a foreign grid or not, the settings of the
> particular grids users are on seem to have something to do with it too.
> That is, sometimes, IM's do work when both users are on a foreign grid,
> but given another set of foreign grids it won't work..
>
> - Tom

---

Re: Question on What is meant to happen with Offline IMs between Hypergrid Connected Grids

Aine
In my testing:

- if both users are online and in their respective homes grids an IM
between them is *usually* but not always successful. In many cases when
I receive an IM from someone in either Metro or in OSGrid I have to tp
to their grid to be able to respond to it, even when they're online.
I've also been told that people have sent me an IM when I was online but
I never received it...this is a lot more likely to occur if I've been
HGed elsewhere and returned to my own grid so  now any time I HG
anywhere I always log off, wait a couple of minutes, and then log in again.

- if both users are online and both in the same grid (even if it's a 3rd
grid) an IM will usually succeed

- if both users are online but the "target" of the IM is in a different
grid when an IM chat is initiated, it bounces back as though the HGed
user is offline and the message is never stored...to have an IM stored
for someone who is offline you have to HGTP to their grid and leave them
a message while you're there

- if both users initiate a conversation while in the same grid (or in
their respective home grids) and keep their IM chat boxes open, they can
often continue to communicate even when they subsequently both tp to
other different grids. As soon as the chat is closed they cannot resume
it and no messages are stored.

I assume the problem here is that as soon as you HGTP away from your
home grid it treats that as a log out (it doesn't track or monitor where
you are) so when an inbound IM comes into the grid it checks, sees
you're offline, and responds that way. I guess once an IM "session" is
initiated the two viewers know the target IP to send the messages to so
as long as the session remains open they're able to continue the
conversation no matter where they are. I would expect any undeliverable
IM to be stored as offline IM but for whatever reason they are
not...offline IM only works when the IM is initiated from within the
"target" user's grid. I also don't have the faintest idea why IMs
between myself and OSG/Metro users frequently seems to be so problematic
even when both of us are online in our home grids whereas I don't
encounter that problem with the majority of interactions with users in
other grids.

On 12/7/2015 8:18 AM, R.Gunther wrote:

> OfflineIM is broken for a long time on hypergrid. The message arrive
> at the other grid. in this case
> my own grid i have test it with. But it never get send to the avatar
> this is with V2 http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=7531
>
> On 07 Dec 2015 10:50, Tom Frost wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 09:40:31AM +0000, Ai Austin wrote:
>>> BUT... if a sender on one grid tries to send an IM to a foreign grid
>>> recipient is not online and on their home grid at the time a message
>>> is sent, its NOT stored for later delivery.  Instead the sender gets
>>> the message
>>>
>>>       (busy response): Unable to send instant message. User is not
>>> logged in.
>>>
>>> Would we expect that to work and its a bug if it does not.... or
>>> should it be made to work one day by using the offline IM mechanism
>>> in the sender or receiver grids to pas it over to await the
>>> recipient coming online?
>> In addition, I find that when both users are online, but not on their
>> home grid, IM often fails with that same message. That's just a hunch
>> though and I can't substantiate that claim with extensive test results.
>>
>> There's all kinds of corner-cases like that. I've been meaning to try
>> and find out what combinations do and don't work, perhaps it would be
>> good to do this in a structured way. I have an inkling that there's more
>> involved than just being on a foreign grid or not, the settings of the
>> particular grids users are on seem to have something to do with it too.
>> That is, sometimes, IM's do work when both users are on a foreign grid,
>> but given another set of foreign grids it won't work..
>>
>> - Tom

> ---

Re: Question on What is meant to happen with Offline IMs between Hypergrid Connected Grids

Ai Austin-2

>From: Aine Caoimhe <[hidden email]>
>
>In my testing:...

I took the liberty of copying Aine's report of what works and what
seems not to into the Mantis report for this issue to see if we can
pin down the problems...

http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=7531#c29793

I hope that's okay Aine... If not just let me know and I can delete
the Mantis comment.