Re: Handling of "Default Media Texture"

Stefan Andersson
Or we simply duplicate the one we have and let it be referenced by both GUIDs.

Best regards,
Stefan Andersson
Tribal Media AB

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:46:47 -0800
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Handling of "Default Media Texture"

If the texture had a license which would allow it to be distributed freely outside of Linden Lab, then it could probably be included. If not, then I imagine that the UUID which is defined by the constant DEFAULT_TEXTURE might be able to be defined to reference the one which is currently distributed.

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Ai Austin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can I check what the Opensim dev team approach is to handling the
default media texture, the interaction with LSL scripts that may use
it, and the means to tie that up with the media texture used on plots?

Second Life, and recent SL viewer releases allow use of a constant
for the UUID of the default media texture, or the UUID itself can be
stated ("8b5fec65-8d8d-9dc5-cda8-8fdf2716e361" I believe)... BUT this
is complemented by the availably fo a texture in the standard library
available to all that is that texture and has that specific UUID.

Now we can always match up a custom texture and use that for the plot
media texture, and use its UID in programs... but that doe snot
ensure compatibility across installations, and will require script
tailoring to allow objects to be used as intended.

What is the planned approach in Opensim folks?  is it in fact already
handled and |I just did not realise? Or perhaps we also can include
"Default Media Texture" with the same UUID in the standard Opensim library?

Re: Handling of "Default Media Texture"

Ai Austin
At 22:22 21/01/2009, Ai Austin wrote:
>Or perhaps we also can include "Default Media Texture" with the same
>UUID in the standard Opensim library?

Can I propose that we add two simple textures to the default Opensim
Library Textures Folder... with names as in Second Life... and the
same asset UUIDs as the TEXTURE_MEDIA and TEXTURE_TRANSPARENT constants in LSL.

*Default Media Texture              8b5fec65-8d8d-9dc5-cda8-8fdf2716e361
*Default Transparent Texture      8dcd4a48-2d37-4909-9f78-f7a9eb4ef903

Note that TEXTURE_BLANK  and TEXTURE_DEFAULT/TEXTURE_PLYWOOD assets
are NOT needed, as they can be put on as a texture via the build/edit
window. [Rex differs use a different wood finish for its default,
which is not plywood, so they may wish to note this and come up with
a compatible solution to assist in script portability across SL/OS/ReX.

http://www.lslwiki.net/lslwiki/wakka.php?wakka=llSetTexture

I will add this to mantis.. though someone may have already done that?

At 08:19 22/01/2009, Dahlia Trimble <[hidden email]> wrote:
>If the texture had a license which would allow it to be distributed freely
>outside of Linden Lab, then it could probably be included. If not, then I
>imagine that the UUID which is defined by the constant DEFAULT_TEXTURE might
>be able to be defined to reference the one which is currently distributed.

I don't think we need any actual texture.

ANY texture will work for the default media texture.  Putting in just
a 50% tone grey is all that is needed.

ditto for the transparent texture.  It can be made afresh...no copy
of Second  Life assets is needed.  Its just the fixed constant LSL
UUID that is critical... hence the reason you cannot just make your
own separately in each opensim.

Re: Handling of "Default Media Texture"

Ai Austin

>If not, then I imagine that the UUID which is defined by the
>constant DEFAULT_TEXTURE might be able to be defined to reference
>the one which is currently distributed.

What are you referring to here Stefan... I can see no media texture
in the Opensim Library... but I replace the release assets and
inventory folders with the ones from the extended CC Openlibrary
(0.53) at the moment... so maybe the media texture has been added to
the standard Opensim library recently?