Re: New hosting

Mike Dickson
Might be a good opportunity to move the  repo, wiki and bug tracking to
Github and modernize the development practices at the same time....

Mike

Re: New hosting

Melanie-2
It is not "more modern" to introduce cloud dependence where none existed before. The cloud is just someone else's server. A vote was taken and resulted in a significant majority against moving to the cloud. Since the vote, the fundamental conditions haven't changed. We will stay self-hosted. - Melanie ---- On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 22:48:56 +0000 Mike Dickson <[hidden email]> wrote ---- Might be a good opportunity to move the repo, wiki and bug tracking to Github and modernize the development practices at the same time.... Mike -----Original Message----- From: [hidden email] <[hidden email]> On Behalf Of Diva Canto Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2018 10:45 PM To: [hidden email]; [hidden email] Subject: [Opensim-dev] New hosting A heads up that we are moving the opensimulator.org server to a new hosting server, and things may be a bit wonky for a few days -- mantis, wiki, etc. Diva _______________________________________________ Opensim-dev mailing list [hidden email] http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-dev _______________________________________________ Opensim-dev mailing list [hidden email] http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-dev

Re: New hosting

Mike Dickson
It isn’t the cloud hosting that’s the issue. It's the archaic bug tracking, lack of merge or pull requests with all the development being done on master, etc.  If you were at parity tool wise with what a cloud hoster provides (for free to an opensource project) then I guess I'd see your point. Maybe this has more to do with control?

Mike

Re: New hosting

Blake
Has Gitlab-CE self hosted been considered? It seems like it might be the
best of both worlds, cleaner user interface with merge-requests and can be
self-hosted. https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 6:18 PM Mike Dickson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> It isn’t the cloud hosting that’s the issue. It's the archaic bug
> tracking, lack of merge or pull requests with all the development being
> done on master, etc.  If you were at parity tool wise with what a cloud
> hoster provides (for free to an opensource project) then I guess I'd see
> your point. Maybe this has more to do with control?
>
> Mike

Re: New hosting

Fly Man
When there's a new server that can host Gitlab-CE and also do away with
Mantis by making sure we have a more streamlined workflow I would be very
happy.

However, I know that OpenSim is still a project that doesn't receive
funding to keep a server up and running where developers have streamlined
issue reports and also are open for pull requests that are actually easier
to integrate with a press of the button.

So my Christmas Wish for OpenSim would be to find such funding and build on
a future where it's not harder to report an issue and can even point to the
exact spot in the code where things go boom.

Merry Christmas

Op ma 17 dec. 2018 om 14:56 schreef Blake <[hidden email]>:

> Has Gitlab-CE self hosted been considered? It seems like it might be the
> best of both worlds, cleaner user interface with merge-requests and can be
> self-hosted. https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/
>
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 6:18 PM Mike Dickson <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > It isn’t the cloud hosting that’s the issue. It's the archaic bug
> > tracking, lack of merge or pull requests with all the development being
> > done on master, etc.  If you were at parity tool wise with what a cloud
> > hoster provides (for free to an opensource project) then I guess I'd see
> > your point. Maybe this has more to do with control?
> >
> > Mike

I totally don’t get the fixation on self hosting.  There is an incredibly rich set of offerings available across github, gitlab, Atlassian, etc and all of them offer essentially free hosting for opensource projects.  Most provide integration with unit/smoke test builds on commits and the ability to do pull/merge requests.  Most provide real issue tracking and the ability to comment patches at a line level.  Any one of them would take the current workflow into the current decade from the VERY error prone (have you ever tried counting the number of commits that "ooops. Fixing..." or reverts of previous commits?  I have) current patch based process.   And I wont even get into the whole how does one actually become an active contributor to the project, how you get some new DNA and people doing creative work happening.  I suspect there is more interest in controlling direction (which I could actually even support if there was a healthy roadmap published for features) than really fostering innovation in the project.  Thank god for the one or 2 developers who actually work on bugs and are trying to stabilize what we've got.  But wouldn't it be nice if you could actually accelerate that because you were using a modern CICD process?

Mike

When there's a new server that can host Gitlab-CE and also do away with Mantis by making sure we have a more streamlined workflow I would be very happy.

However, I know that OpenSim is still a project that doesn't receive funding to keep a server up and running where developers have streamlined issue reports and also are open for pull requests that are actually easier to integrate with a press of the button.

So my Christmas Wish for OpenSim would be to find such funding and build on a future where it's not harder to report an issue and can even point to the exact spot in the code where things go boom.

Merry Christmas

Op ma 17 dec. 2018 om 14:56 schreef Blake <[hidden email]>:

> Has Gitlab-CE self hosted been considered? It seems like it might be
> the best of both worlds, cleaner user interface with merge-requests
> and can be self-hosted. https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/
>
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 6:18 PM Mike Dickson
> <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > It isn’t the cloud hosting that’s the issue. It's the archaic bug
> > tracking, lack of merge or pull requests with all the development
> > being done on master, etc.  If you were at parity tool wise with
> > what a cloud hoster provides (for free to an opensource project)
> > then I guess I'd see your point. Maybe this has more to do with control?
> >
> > Mike

Peter Gloor
I agree to some extent, but this is how the Opensimulator project has been
organized for ages. In my opinion, you cannot run a project like
Opensimulator without control and some specific rules.

It doesn't matter whether you are using Mantis and self-hosted Git or use
Github and Gerrit to manage and control the project. I agree, the latter is
more modern in some aspects, but probably doesn't add much value to the
projects success.

Peter