Re: Timezones, UTC, GMT & PST

Dr Scofield
Dahlia Trimble wrote:
> With the err... um... inevitable future event when the LL grid opens the
> doors to full interoperability, and given that their large customer base
> is accustomed to using "SLT" (California time) and all the scripts that
> may assume SLT, shouldn't we weigh that option over UTC or GMT or CUT or
> whatever it's called these days?

no. not at all. i'd like to have my regions running in CET (GMT +1) --- so,
actually, i'd like to see everything run on UTC internally and have the region
display whatever timezone its owner wants to use. for me this has a lot to do
with respecting different cultures. while i kind of like california (well, parts
of it anyhow), i'm also quite at home in good old europe ;-)

> On a side note, regions running in virtual machines may have less
> control over the system clocks than regions running in a regular
> machine. I'd like to suggest that region times could be configured in
> OpenSim.ini and/or set by a central server using ntp or a similar protocol.

do we really want to drag NTP into OpenSim? i can see the point, yes --- i can
also see the point for delegating that to the underlying OS. also, if the
internal time format were UTC we'd be able to tell the drift...

        cheers,
        DrS/dirk

--
dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/

Re: Timezones, UTC, GMT & PST

Dr Scofield
Melanie wrote:
> And, as I said, I care about being _able_ to put time data on disk
> in local time (NOT UTC + offset) with all local time quirks.
> That doesn't have to be default, or trivial, but must remain possible.

well, if you know the time data is always UTC, what difference does it make?

-1 on the "must remain possible", it just unnecessarily complicates things.

        DrS/dirk