Region crossing and its requests to UGAIMs

Region crossing and its requests to UGAIMs

Impalah Shenzhou
Hi everyone:

I'm developing (or trying to...) an UGAIM system over a LAMP (or WAMP) system and I have some questions about the requests sent from region servers to UGAIM (user and inventory servers). I'm using the "stable" 0.6 version of opensim.

When crossing a region I have detected three requests:
* Get avatar appearance
* Get avatar inventory
* Update region into agent data

These three requests make the avatar to "shiver" when entering a new region if the response is not fast enough (or even make the avatar move some meters while waiting the response, and then return to the point it entered).

I'm able to understand the 1st and the 3rd, well, maybe I have some doubts about the 1st... but the second (request FULL inventory) I think is what "lags" the region entering.

Actually (version 0.6 remember) when requesting an inventory is the FULL inventory. For testing, maybe no problem, but if I have 100 folders an 1000 items... the initial 6kbyte inventory grows to something like 100k, and the lag make my avie to walk till the middle of the region and then return back...

My question: is really necessary to get the full inventory when crossing regions?

And the secondary question: Is there any implemented or at least a semi-implemented method to deliver only parts of the inventory ("a la SL style")?

Greetings

Impalah "Sea of doubts" Shenshou

Re: Region crossing and its requests to UGAIMs

justincc
Impalah wrote:

> Hi everyone:
>
> I'm developing (or trying to...) an UGAIM system over a LAMP (or WAMP)
> system and I have some questions about the requests sent from region
> servers to UGAIM (user and inventory servers). I'm using the "stable"
> 0.6 version of opensim.
>
> When crossing a region I have detected three requests:
> * Get avatar appearance
> * Get avatar inventory
> * Update region into agent data
>
> These three requests make the avatar to "shiver" when entering a new
> region if the response is not fast enough (or even make the avatar move
> some meters while waiting the response, and then return to the point it
> entered).
>
> I'm able to understand the 1st and the 3rd, well, maybe I have some
> doubts about the 1st... but the second (request FULL inventory) I think
> is what "lags" the region entering.
>
> Actually (version 0.6 remember) when requesting an inventory is the FULL
> inventory. For testing, maybe no problem, but if I have 100 folders an
> 1000 items... the initial 6kbyte inventory grows to something like 100k,
> and the lag make my avie to walk till the middle of the region and then
> return back...
>
> My question: is really necessary to get the full inventory when crossing
> regions?

The code to request the entire agent's inventory information (though not assets, of course) from the inventory service
has been in place for quite a long time (at least a year).

It does make things simpler from a coding perspective and may actually be better in making inventory more responsive to
the user (an inventory request only happens once, not on every request from the client, which means latency only needs
to be suffered once and the inventory server doesn't have to respond to lots of tiny requests.  I shouldn't think that
the amount of data being delivered, even for an inventory with 1000s of objects, is all that large - certainly no larger
than a single detailed texture).  That's not to say that this implementation won't change in the future.

In theory, this latency should not cause any problems on region crossing since it is carried out asynchronously.  So any
region crossing lag you are experiencing should be down to other issues.  I'd be interested to see any detailed evidence
that this is not the case (probably the most controlled way would be to introduce artificial pauses for inventory

> And the secondary question: Is there any implemented or at least a
> semi-implemented method to deliver only parts of the inventory ("a la SL
> style")?

No

> Greetings
>
> Impalah "Sea of doubts" Shenshou

justincc
Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: Region crossing and its requests to UGAIMs

Impalah Shenzhou
Hi Justin, thank you for the answer.

I followed one of your advices and added 5 seconds pauses in the three functions of my ugaim.

The results are what I supossed, now the avie goes beyond middle region and returns to the entering point when the region server receives the answer to "update agent region".

I'll test my system looking for table locks or something like that, but my first thinking is that the region server calls aren't completely asynchronous.

Greetings

2009/1/25 Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]>
Impalah wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I'm developing (or trying to...) an UGAIM system over a LAMP (or WAMP)
> system and I have some questions about the requests sent from region
> servers to UGAIM (user and inventory servers). I'm using the "stable"
> 0.6 version of opensim.
>
> When crossing a region I have detected three requests:
> * Get avatar appearance
> * Get avatar inventory
> * Update region into agent data
>
> These three requests make the avatar to "shiver" when entering a new
> region if the response is not fast enough (or even make the avatar move
> some meters while waiting the response, and then return to the point it
> entered).
>
> I'm able to understand the 1st and the 3rd, well, maybe I have some
> doubts about the 1st... but the second (request FULL inventory) I think
> is what "lags" the region entering.
>
> Actually (version 0.6 remember) when requesting an inventory is the FULL
> inventory. For testing, maybe no problem, but if I have 100 folders an
> 1000 items... the initial 6kbyte inventory grows to something like 100k,
> and the lag make my avie to walk till the middle of the region and then
> return back...
>
> My question: is really necessary to get the full inventory when crossing
> regions?

The code to request the entire agent's inventory information (though not assets, of course) from the inventory service
has been in place for quite a long time (at least a year).

It does make things simpler from a coding perspective and may actually be better in making inventory more responsive to
the user (an inventory request only happens once, not on every request from the client, which means latency only needs
to be suffered once and the inventory server doesn't have to respond to lots of tiny requests.  I shouldn't think that
the amount of data being delivered, even for an inventory with 1000s of objects, is all that large - certainly no larger
than a single detailed texture).  That's not to say that this implementation won't change in the future.

In theory, this latency should not cause any problems on region crossing since it is carried out asynchronously.  So any
region crossing lag you are experiencing should be down to other issues.  I'd be interested to see any detailed evidence
that this is not the case (probably the most controlled way would be to introduce artificial pauses for inventory

> And the secondary question: Is there any implemented or at least a
> semi-implemented method to deliver only parts of the inventory ("a la SL
> style")?

No