SL viewer 2 testing

12

SL viewer 2 testing

Olli Aro
Administrator

Hi all,

Have been playing around with SL viewer 2 and the latest OpenSim version(well moap branch actually) the last couple of days. While it seems to be mostly working fine there are couple of snags I have noticed. Thought will start a mailing list thread in order to collect them. Maybe other people can add on this and then we will have a full picture on how far we are for compatibility?

So here we go:

1)      World map is not working – It seems like the map tiles are named ok but the images are coming from somewhere else. The small map is working ok.

2)      In the build menu there are options for trees and grass. These options seem to loose textures.

3)      It seems that the moap web texture does not persist if the server is restarted.

Have not noticed anything else so far but will add to this list if come across anything.

Regards,

Olli

Re: SL viewer 2 testing

Bri Hasp
I am not sure this mail list is the ideal for the depth of this subject.
I have a hosted standalone small Mega with HG using the moap branch and find very mixed user results.
My client 2 of choice is the Kirsten K20 build 30 viewer, far improved over LL's offering.
Personally I experience a visual eye candy treat with dynamic shadows in all it's glory. however some guests see black Sad smile emoticon which baffles me based on the hardware they are using.. Nebadon for one.
The 'tease' is a virtual video production server beyond any inexpensively available for education and music videos.

Re: SL viewer 2 testing

justincc
On 03/08/10 14:40, Olli Aro wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Have been playing around with SL viewer 2 and the latest OpenSim
> version(well moap branch actually) the last couple of days. While it
> seems to be mostly working fine there are couple of snags I have
> noticed. Thought will start a mailing list thread in order to collect
> them. Maybe other people can add on this and then we will have a full
> picture on how far we are for compatibility?
>
> So here we go:
>
> 1) World map is not working – It seems like the map tiles are named ok
> but the images are coming from somewhere else. The small map is working ok.

Yes, I remember hearing that the map tile location was hard-coded for Linden Lab but this has since been changed.  I'm
not yet sure how to change this, though.

> 2) In the build menu there are options for trees and grass. These
> options seem to loose textures.

Yes.  We will need to add suitably licensed textures to the OpenSim library for this.

> 3) It seems that the moap web texture does not persist if the server is
> restarted.

This may have been due to a bug in the mysql moap persistence implementation.  This should now be fixed.

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org

Re: SL viewer 2 testing

Michael Emory Cerquoni

2) In the build menu there are options for trees and grass. These
options seem to loose textures.

Yes.  We will need to add suitably licensed textures to the OpenSim library for this.--

this one really sucks, these textures are not going to be easy to replace at all, virtually impossible if you ask me.

Michael Emory Cerquoni - Nebadon Izumi @ http://osgrid.org

Re: SL viewer 2 testing

Melanie-2
Why so defeatist?

Michael Cerquoni wrote:

>>> 2) In the build menu there are options for trees and grass. These
>>> options seem to loose textures.
>>>

>> Yes.  We will need to add suitably licensed textures to the OpenSim library
>> for this.--
>>

> this one really sucks, these textures are not going to be easy to replace at
> all, virtually impossible if you ask me.
>

> Michael Emory Cerquoni - Nebadon Izumi @ http://osgrid.org

Re: SL viewer 2 testing

Michael Emory Cerquoni
its not defeatist, but without ripping the meshes or textures from the old viewer i don't see how its possible to texture something you don't have a mesh for.

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Melanie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why so defeatist?

Michael Cerquoni wrote:

>>> 2) In the build menu there are options for trees and grass. These
>>> options seem to loose textures.
>>>

>> Yes.  We will need to add suitably licensed textures to the OpenSim library
>> for this.--
>>

> this one really sucks, these textures are not going to be easy to replace at
> all, virtually impossible if you ask me.
>

> Michael Emory Cerquoni - Nebadon Izumi @ http://osgrid.org

Michael Emory Cerquoni - Nebadon Izumi @ http://osgrid.org

Re: SL viewer 2 testing

Michael Emory Cerquoni
and last time i checked we can not use anything derived from LL viewers.

Michael Cerquoni wrote:

>>> 2) In the build menu there are options for trees and grass. These
>>> options seem to loose textures.
>>>

>> Yes.  We will need to add suitably licensed textures to the OpenSim library
>> for this.--
>>

> this one really sucks, these textures are not going to be easy to replace at
> all, virtually impossible if you ask me.
>

> Michael Emory Cerquoni - Nebadon Izumi @ http://osgrid.org

Michael Emory Cerquoni - Nebadon Izumi @ http://osgrid.org

--
Michael Emory Cerquoni - Nebadon Izumi @ http://osgrid.org

Re: SL viewer 2 testing

Melanie-2
Even reverse-engineer the UV map?

Michael Cerquoni wrote:

> and last time i checked we can not use anything derived from LL viewers.
>
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Michael Cerquoni <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> its not defeatist, but without ripping the meshes or textures from the old
>> viewer i don't see how its possible to texture something you don't have a
>> mesh for.
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Melanie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Why so defeatist?

>>> library

>>> replace at

>> --
>> Michael Emory Cerquoni - Nebadon Izumi @ http://osgrid.org

Re: SL viewer 2 testing

Michael Emory Cerquoni
i have not, i do understand the concept though, but wouldn't that still be considered derived from the LL viewer?

Michael Cerquoni wrote:
> and last time i checked we can not use anything derived from LL viewers.
>
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Michael Cerquoni <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> its not defeatist, but without ripping the meshes or textures from the old
>> viewer i don't see how its possible to texture something you don't have a
>> mesh for.
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Melanie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Why so defeatist?

>>> library

>>> replace at

>> --
>> Michael Emory Cerquoni - Nebadon Izumi @ http://osgrid.org

Michael Emory Cerquoni - Nebadon Izumi @ http://osgrid.org

Re: SL viewer 2 testing

Michael Emory Cerquoni
heh woops i read Even as Ever initially, but you get the idea of what i meant, i really don't know our current policy to me would imply we cant use anything derived from the LL viewer, the things we have acquired in the past for viewer have been published on the LL wiki.

Michael Cerquoni wrote:
> and last time i checked we can not use anything derived from LL viewers.
>
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Michael Cerquoni <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> its not defeatist, but without ripping the meshes or textures from the old
>> viewer i don't see how its possible to texture something you don't have a
>> mesh for.
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Melanie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Why so defeatist?

>>> library

>>> replace at

>> --
>> Michael Emory Cerquoni - Nebadon Izumi @ http://osgrid.org

Michael Emory Cerquoni - Nebadon Izumi @ http://osgrid.org

--
Michael Emory Cerquoni - Nebadon Izumi @ http://osgrid.org

Re: SL viewer 2 testing

Jeroen van Veen
The mapstuff in slviewer2 works with both simiangrid and osmaps.

Jeroen

<[hidden email]>wrote:

> > i have not, i do understand the concept though, but wouldn't that still
> > be considered derived from the LL viewer?
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 6:43 PM, Melanie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Even reverse-engineer the UV map?

> >> old

Re: SL viewer 2 testing

Michael Emory Cerquoni
after some discussion on opensim-dev IRC it seems that the tree and grass textures are available on the LL wiki and are licensed as Creative Commons.. soo ya glad i was wrong :)

http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SNOW-604

http://develop.secondlife.com/develop-on-sl-platform/viewer-licensing

The artwork for the Second Life Viewer is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License, the complete terms of which are available here.

i have isolated the tree and grass textures into packs with their perspective UUIDS and have included the appropriate license file also

http://nebadon2025.com/goodies/Grass_Pack.zip
http://nebadon2025.com/goodies/Tree_Pack.zip

<[hidden email]>wrote:
> > i have not, i do understand the concept though, but wouldn't that still
> > be considered derived from the LL viewer?
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 6:43 PM, Melanie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Even reverse-engineer the UV map?

> >> old

Michael Emory Cerquoni - Nebadon Izumi @ http://osgrid.org

Re: SL viewer 2 testing

Fly Man
2010/8/4 Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]>
On 03/08/10 14:40, Olli Aro wrote:
Hi all,

Have been playing around with SL viewer 2 and the latest OpenSim
version(well moap branch actually) the last couple of days. While it
seems to be mostly working fine there are couple of snags I have
noticed. Thought will start a mailing list thread in order to collect
them. Maybe other people can add on this and then we will have a full
picture on how far we are for compatibility?

So here we go:

1) World map is not working – It seems like the map tiles are named ok
but the images are coming from somewhere else. The small map is working ok.

Yes, I remember hearing that the map tile location was hard-coded for Linden Lab but this has since been changed.  I'm not yet sure how to change this, though.

Justin, please have a look at the link that the OMV crew posted earlier about getting it fixed.

It seems that in Snowglobe this patch is still on hold but it allows the viewer to set the MapURL where to find the tiles

Re: SL viewer 2 testing

Latif Khalifa-3
On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Fly Man <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010/8/4 Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]>
>>
>> On 03/08/10 14:40, Olli Aro wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Have been playing around with SL viewer 2 and the latest OpenSim
>>> version(well moap branch actually) the last couple of days. While it
>>> seems to be mostly working fine there are couple of snags I have
>>> noticed. Thought will start a mailing list thread in order to collect
>>> them. Maybe other people can add on this and then we will have a full
>>> picture on how far we are for compatibility?
>>>
>>> So here we go:
>>>
>>> 1) World map is not working – It seems like the map tiles are named ok
>>> but the images are coming from somewhere else. The small map is working
>>> ok.
>>
>> Yes, I remember hearing that the map tile location was hard-coded for
>> Linden Lab but this has since been changed.  I'm not yet sure how to change
>> this, though.
>
> Justin, please have a look at the link that the OMV crew posted earlier
> about getting it fixed.
>
> It seems that in Snowglobe this patch is still on hold but it allows the
> viewer to set the MapURL where to find the tiles

Both the latest builds of snowglobe 1.4 and 1.5 and the final release
of viewer 2.1 support login param to point at the server containing
the map tiles.

Latif

Re: SL viewer 2 testing

Olli Aro
Administrator

Anyone able to tell how to install the tree and grass textures in an existing OpenSim instance. I copied them in \assets\TexturesAssetSet\ and then modified \assets\TexturesAssetSet\TexturesAssetSet.xml accordingly, but that kills the asset server.

Do I need to add something in the database as well?

Regards,

Olli

Re: SL viewer 2 testing

justincc
On 09/08/10 17:11, Olli Aro wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Anyone able to tell how to install the tree and grass textures in an
> existing OpenSim instance. I copied them in \assets\TexturesAssetSet\ and
> then modified \assets\TexturesAssetSet\TexturesAssetSet.xml accordingly, but
> that kills the asset server.

What do you mean by "kills the asset server"?  Copying the texture and adding the required xml should be enough to load
the asset at startup.  Nothing else is required, afaik.

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org
http://twitter.com/justincc

Re: SL viewer 2 testing

Olli Aro
Administrator
Hi Justin,

What I mean is that if I add in:

Section Name="Beach Grass 1">
    <Key Name="assetID" Value="18fb888b-e8f1-dce7-7da7-321d651ea6b0"/>
    <Key Name="name" Value="Beach Grass 1"/>
    <Key Name="assetType" Value="0" />
    <Key Name="fileName" Value="18fb888b-e8f1-dce7-7da7-321d651ea6b0.jp2" />
</Section>

Then copy file 18fb888b-e8f1-dce7-7da7-321d651ea6b0.jp2 to the directory and
then start the server I get the following:

21:36:37 - [APPLICATION]:

Unhandled Exception: System.Exception: No IAssetService available.
   at OpenSim.Region.Framework.Scenes.Scene.get_AssetService()
   at
OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.Framework.Library.LibraryModule.LoadLibrariesFr
omArchives()
   at
OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.Framework.Library.LibraryModule.RegionLoaded(Sc
ene scene)
   at
OpenSim.ApplicationPlugins.RegionModulesController.RegionModulesController
Plugin.AddRegionToModules(Scene scene)
   at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.CreateRegion(RegionInfo regionInfo, Boolean
portadd_fl
ag, Boolean do_post_init, IScene& mscene)
   at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.CreateRegion(RegionInfo regionInfo, Boolean
portadd_fl
ag, IScene& scene)
   at
OpenSim.ApplicationPlugins.LoadRegions.LoadRegionsPlugin.PostInitialise()
   at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.StartupSpecific()
   at OpenSim.OpenSim.StartupSpecific()
   at OpenSim.Framework.Servers.BaseOpenSimServer.Startup()
   at OpenSim.Application.Main(String[] args)

Regards,

Olli

Re: SL viewer 2 testing

M.E. Verhagen
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Assets_generator is the wiki page about adding assets to the library.

When you then restart opensim and login you will find the assets in the library folder.
It creates the uuids for you.

But I think you want to know how to add a tree to opensim (wich is a very interesting question), not how to add a asset to the library ?

Re: SL viewer 2 testing

Robert L martin
On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 4:57 PM, marcel verhagen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Assets_generator is the wiki page about adding
> assets to the library.

side issue to this does anybody know of a good FREE program to convert
from/to PNG/JPG/TGA and JP2/JC2??

(bonus points if you have a Windows program to do this)
--
Robert L Martin

Re: SL viewer 2 testing

justincc
On 09/08/10 21:37, Olli Aro wrote:

> Hi Justin,
>
> What I mean is that if I add in:
>
> Section Name="Beach Grass 1">
>      <Key Name="assetID" Value="18fb888b-e8f1-dce7-7da7-321d651ea6b0"/>
>      <Key Name="name" Value="Beach Grass 1"/>
>      <Key Name="assetType" Value="0" />
>      <Key Name="fileName" Value="18fb888b-e8f1-dce7-7da7-321d651ea6b0.jp2" />
> </Section>
>
> Then copy file 18fb888b-e8f1-dce7-7da7-321d651ea6b0.jp2 to the directory and
> then start the server I get the following:
>
> 21:36:37 - [APPLICATION]:
>
> Unhandled Exception: System.Exception: No IAssetService available.
>     at OpenSim.Region.Framework.Scenes.Scene.get_AssetService()
>     at
> OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.Framework.Library.LibraryModule.LoadLibrariesFr
> omArchives()
>     at
> OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.Framework.Library.LibraryModule.RegionLoaded(Sc
> ene scene)
>     at
> OpenSim.ApplicationPlugins.RegionModulesController.RegionModulesController
> Plugin.AddRegionToModules(Scene scene)
>     at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.CreateRegion(RegionInfo regionInfo, Boolean
> portadd_fl
> ag, Boolean do_post_init, IScene&  mscene)
>     at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.CreateRegion(RegionInfo regionInfo, Boolean
> portadd_fl
> ag, IScene&  scene)
>     at
> OpenSim.ApplicationPlugins.LoadRegions.LoadRegionsPlugin.PostInitialise()
>     at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.StartupSpecific()
>     at OpenSim.OpenSim.StartupSpecific()
>     at OpenSim.Framework.Servers.BaseOpenSimServer.Startup()
>     at OpenSim.Application.Main(String[] args)

That shouldn't be the case - it sounds like some problem loading the assets has caused the asset service to fail earlier on.