[SimulatorFeatures] mapping to OpenSimExtras

[SimulatorFeatures] mapping to OpenSimExtras

Ai Austin-2
Hello folks... on the wki at
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/SimulatorFeatures_Extras
there are nine OpenSimExtras communicated to viewers and now being
really used by several viewers.

Above that there are three [SimulatorFeatures] described that set
overrides on the grid defaults set in the grid/standalone [LoginServices]

But how do we specify and what parameters are used for the other 6?

In particular I am trying to work out where GridName and GridURL are
set to communicate those through the OpenSimExtras OSDMap.

It seems that OSGrid is not setting this correctly though other grids
are, and Dan banner cannot see a "GridURL" anywhere in any of the
.ini files used in the grids that do work. And when I looked at my
grids that ARE working correctly I cannot see a config of the GridURL
anywhere either.

I wonder if someone who knows about this can fix the wiki, or just
give notes here and I will update the wiki page?

Re: [SimulatorFeatures] mapping to OpenSimExtras

Ai Austin-2
I have been trying to unpick what is going on with these features
that are extras communicated to the viewers that support things...
the Wiki page here lists what seems to be the case at the moment...
it would be good if people in the know about this could check it
reflects reality and the current 0.8.2 dev master setup.

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/SimulatorFeatures_Extras

But in trying to understand why OSGrid is not actually passing any of
the OpenSimExtras to viewers (such as GridURL, etc), and noting it
only passes through the say, shout and whisper ranges Cinder Roxley
has delved into the code and see some odd things.  The notes below
are an edited version of an exchange between Cinder and myself in the
last few days to try to shed light on this.  Its not quite suitable
for a mantis entry, so I hope the opensim-dev mailing list is a
suitable place to raise this.

SimulatorFeatures.cs
-------------------------------

The settings directly under SimulatorFeatures.cs seem to be
deprecated and pending removal.  I think they are coming from
GridService now.  There's a code comment in SimulatorFeatures.cs that says:

  //
  // All this is obsolete since getting these features from the grid service!!
  // Will be removed after the next release
  //

I have noted that OpenSimDefaults.ini  [ClientStack.LindenCaps] has
Cap_SimulatorFeatures = ""   which means its disabled.

Should SimulatorFeatures.cs and the Cap_SimulatorFeatures line be
removed in the dev master while some of the refactoring is going on
ahead of a new stable release, given the comment in the current code,
and to clarify a bit what is going on here?

SuppressConsoleCommands

Cinder also found that there can be an issue with communication of
teh OpenSimExtras to the viewer if SuppressConsoleCommands is set to
False in the configuration. It appears that if SupressConsoleCommands
is not True that it may not load the service urls.

I could not find any reference to in the any configuration files or
.ini.example files... but Cinder was looking directly in code and saw
that if it's set False that the service urls are left unset and
omitted from OpenSimExtras. It may not have ever been added to an
ini, but it's referenced in code.

Re: [SimulatorFeatures] mapping to OpenSimExtras

Diva Canto
I'm not paying attention to the details of your message here, but it's
too premature to explain SimulatorFeatures well. This is precisely the
foot in the door, so to speak, for evolution of the viewers, and I
expect a lot will change in this area in the near future.

@Diva wrote:
>I'm not paying attention to the details of your message here, but it's
>too premature to explain SimulatorFeatures well. This is precisely the
>foot in the door, so to speak, for evolution of the viewers, and I
>expect a lot will change in this area in the near future.

I am sure that is true and to be welcomed, but we do have OSGrid not
able to deliver the openSimExtras and Dan Banner, myself and Cinder
Roxley have been trying to work out where the settings are wrong to
feed that through.  It seems that lots of 0.8.1 and 0.8.2 dev master
grids deliver the OpenSimExtras fine, includign my nown penvue and
AiLand grids.  We especially needthe GridURL to help get a much
better protocol for intergrid /HG transfer URLs, but OSGrid does not
fill in any OpenSimExtras except for the say/wihisper/shout
distances. We are trying to work out what configuration is missing and where.