Source tree cleanup

Jeff Ames
Hello,

There are a few dusty corners in trunk from before
forge.opensimulator.org was up, but I was wondering about moving them
over, or merging them with core.

* OpenSim/Tools/LaunchSLClient

  Can this be merged with the SL Launcher project on forge?
  (http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/sllauncher/)

* OpenSim/Tools/Windows/Installer

  Can this be moved to the OpenSim Installers project SVN?
  (http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/osinstaller/)

* ThirdParty/*

  Could these either be merged into the OpenSim namespace or moved to
  forge?

* OpenSim/Tools/pCampBot

  Could we move this to forge?  (There is also the OSBots project on
  forge, but I don't know if this is similar)

* OpenSim/Tools/OpenSim.32BitLaunch
* OpenSim/Tools/OpenSim.GridLaunch
* share/RegionLoading
* share/php
* share/python

  Could we move these to forge?

Jeff

Re: Source tree cleanup

Sean Dague-2
Jeff Ames wrote:

> Hello,
>
> There are a few dusty corners in trunk from before
> forge.opensimulator.org was up, but I was wondering about moving them
> over, or merging them with core.
>
> * OpenSim/Tools/LaunchSLClient
>
>   Can this be merged with the SL Launcher project on forge?
>   (http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/sllauncher/)
+1

> * OpenSim/Tools/Windows/Installer
>
>   Can this be moved to the OpenSim Installers project SVN?
>   (http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/osinstaller/)

+1

> * ThirdParty/*
>
>   Could these either be merged into the OpenSim namespace or moved to
>   forge?

+1

> * OpenSim/Tools/pCampBot
>
>   Could we move this to forge?  (There is also the OSBots project on
>   forge, but I don't know if this is similar)

I'm more ambivalent on this one, as I know a few people using this to
try to load test builds of opensim.

> * OpenSim/Tools/OpenSim.32BitLaunch
> * OpenSim/Tools/OpenSim.GridLaunch
> * share/RegionLoading
> * share/php
> * share/python
>
>   Could we move these to forge?

We could always just remove them from trunk, and anyone that wanted them
in a forge project could grab a previous snapshot to get them there.

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague / Neas Bade
[hidden email]

Re: Source tree cleanup

Stefan Andersson
I propose you specify a weeks voting deadline - always specify 'unless any storng objections, I will start doing this next monday' or so.

> > * OpenSim/Tools/LaunchSLClient
> >
> > Can this be merged with the SL Launcher project on forge?
> > (http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/sllauncher/)

 +1

> > * OpenSim/Tools/Windows/Installer
> >
> > Can this be moved to the OpenSim Installers project SVN?
> > (http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/osinstaller/)

 +1

> > * ThirdParty/*
> >
> > Could these either be merged into the OpenSim namespace or moved to
> > forge?

 +1 - onto forge.

> > * OpenSim/Tools/pCampBot
> >
> > Could we move this to forge? (There is also the OSBots project on
> > forge, but I don't know if this is similar)
>
> I'm more ambivalent on this one, as I know a few people using this to
> try to load test builds of opensim.

I agree that this tools is such a handy thing to have nearby that it merits core status. I wouldn't object strongly if it was put on forge though.

> > * OpenSim/Tools/OpenSim.32BitLaunch
> > * OpenSim/Tools/OpenSim.GridLaunch
> > * share/RegionLoading
> > * share/php
> > * share/python
> >
> > Could we move these to forge?
>
> We could always just remove them from trunk, and anyone that wanted them
> in a forge project could grab a previous snapshot to get them there.

+1 on Seans approach.

/Stefan

Re: Source tree cleanup

Mike Mazur

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:56:31 +0900
Jeff Ames <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are a few dusty corners in trunk from before
> forge.opensimulator.org was up, but I was wondering about moving them
> over, or merging them with core.
>
> [...]
>
> * ThirdParty/*
>
>   Could these either be merged into the OpenSim namespace or moved to
>   forge?

Either Johan or I will move the Load Balancer code to forge later this
week.

Thanks!
Mike

Re: Source tree cleanup

Dr Scofield
Sean Dague wrote:
> Jeff Ames wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> There are a few dusty corners in trunk from before
>> forge.opensimulator.org was up, but I was wondering about moving them
>> over, or merging them with core.

[...]
>> * share/python

i've cleaned out that one. was just example code.

--
dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/

Re: Source tree cleanup

Dr Scofield

while we are on the topic of cleaning up: could we move OpenSim/Region/Modules/*
to (appropriate) subdirectories under OpenSim/Region/Environment/Modules? at
least to me it's not clear what the difference between those two directories is
(made worse by the fact that we have SvnSerializer in OpenSim/Region/Modules but
 the OAR archiver in OpenSim/Region/Environment/Modules.

if there are no objections, i'd even do the move ;-)

        cheers,
        DrS/dirk

--
dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/
RL: [hidden email] - +41 44 724 8573 - http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

Re: Source tree cleanup

justincc
Jeff Ames wrote:

> Hello,
>
> There are a few dusty corners in trunk from before
> forge.opensimulator.org was up, but I was wondering about moving them
> over, or merging them with core.
>
> * OpenSim/Tools/LaunchSLClient
>
>   Can this be merged with the SL Launcher project on forge?
>   (http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/sllauncher/)

+1

> * OpenSim/Tools/Windows/Installer
>
>   Can this be moved to the OpenSim Installers project SVN?
>   (http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/osinstaller/)

+1

> * ThirdParty/*
>
>   Could these either be merged into the OpenSim namespace or moved to
>   forge?

+1

> * OpenSim/Tools/pCampBot
>
>   Could we move this to forge?  (There is also the OSBots project on
>   forge, but I don't know if this is similar)

Please can we keep this in core?  I think it is good as some working example code and I vaguely think that it will be
useful basis for some bogus extremely approximate 'performance' tests in the future.

> * OpenSim/Tools/OpenSim.32BitLaunch
> * OpenSim/Tools/OpenSim.GridLaunch
> * share/RegionLoading
> * share/php
> * share/python
>
>   Could we move these to forge?

I agree with Sean.  If the code doesn't currently need to be active (e.g. if someone is currently using it) then t would
be cleaner to just delete it since it can still be retrieved from older SVN revisions if necessary.

--
justincc
Justin Clark-Casey