Splitting VAR regions

Michael Heilmann

OpenSim Users and Developers

I have written and released a few python scripts that operate on OpenSimulator version 0.8 OAR files.  Three of them are simply visualization tools, but the primary effort script (split.py) will operate on a VAR region OAR file, and split it into multiple standard 256 meter region OAR files.

VAR regions are very useful, but they have a few shortcomings.  We saw that VAR regions do not scale well, and that normal operations (such as maptile generation, or persistence) could make the larger regions unusable for minutes at a time.  Unfortunately, OpenSimulator only provides mechanisms for loading a standard oar into a VAR region.  I could not find any mechanism for saving a tile out of a VAR region.  So I wrote one.

The scripts are released under MIT, and are available at https://github.com/M-O-S-E-S/opensim-oar-utilities.  I have only tested these internally, so if anyone would be willing to test them, or provide input, it would be appreciated.  Feedback and contributions are welcome.  I have successfully run it against a 2x2 VAR region and a 6x6 VAR region on the MOSES Grid.

Caveats on this version:
 - The resultant OAR files are currently asset-less.  So they should only be loaded into grids where the assets in question already exist, such as the grid containing the original VAR region.
- Assets that are off-region (coordinates outside of the 0-256,0-256 coordinate square) are ignored.

Thanks

Michael Heilmann

Re: Splitting VAR regions

Myron Curtis

Thanks!

I imagine that we could load the splits into empty 256x256 regions and then create new oars the usual way to get the assets reattached for export.

Myron