TP protocol handle

12

TP protocol handle

Cristina Videira Lopes
Hi,

I want to take HG TPs to the next logical step and support dynamic
links, that is, the ability for the user to simply click on something
like this

http://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9003/

and be teleported there from anywhere on the Metaverse.

The question is: what should these handles look like?

I see a variety of protocol handles out there, and I confess I don't
understand entirely how the viewer handles these -- but I'll figure it
out. In any case, I see:

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Foo/126/32/
secondlife://Foo/126/32/  (this doesn't come underlined on my viewer,
for some reason)
rezzme://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9003/Foo/126/32 (this also doesn't come
underlined)

Obviously, the closest to what we need is the rezzme handler. Is that
working already? Should I take that on for the hypergrid? Or something
else? Does anyone know if/how the viewer sends that hyperlink clicking
event to the server?

Crista

Re: TP protocol handle

Kyle G-2
Wow Christa amazingly cool idea! We have implemented HG on
www.reactiongrid.com to great success & are thrilled you are doing even
more!

Re: TP protocol handle

Dirk Krause
just for the record:
http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/2009/01/07/addressing-places-in-virtual-worldsor-why-slurls-are-bad/

winmail.dat (4K) Download Attachment

Re: TP protocol handle

FrankNichols
Would it be possible to standardize a port or address for discovery of a
grid's connection data. The point being to remove having to include the
port number in the link. The "discovery" address would not be for
connection, but would respond with a standard answer giving details
about what regions and what ports you need to use to connect to that
grid and possibly what version it is running for compatibility checking.

Dirk Krause wrote:

> just for the record:
> http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/2009/01/07/addressing-places-in-virtual-worldsor-why-slurls-are-bad/

Re: TP protocol handle

mw-2
I don't think this is really practical, different users will want things running on different ports. And we need to allow all ports to be changed.

Also some people might be running multiple grids (servers) on one physical server. So they all couldn't be running their discovery service on the same port.

Dirk Krause wrote:

> just for the record:
> http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/2009/01/07/addressing-places-in-virtual-worldsor-why-slurls-are-bad/

Re: TP protocol handle

Cristina Videira Lopes
Dirk,

How do I make the SL viewer underline these things?
I still don't know what packet is involved, but I can see that urls like these
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Foo/
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="secondlife://Foo/">secondlife://Foo/
result in something being sent to the server querying for region Foo. That's all I need to make it happen.
But this:
rezzme://Foo/
doesn't.

I mean, I can always do what I want via an OS scripting function, but if there's a way of doing it via a simple click, that would be ideal.

Crista

Dirk Krause wrote:
just for the record:
http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/2009/01/07/addressing-places-in-virtual-worldsor-why-slurls-are-bad/

I want to take HG TPs to the next logical step and support dynamic
links, that is, the ability for the user to simply click on something
like this

http://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9003/

and be teleported there from anywhere on the Metaverse.

The question is: what should these handles look like?

I see a variety of protocol handles out there, and I confess I don't
understand entirely how the viewer handles these -- but I'll figure it
out. In any case, I see:

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Foo/126/32/
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="secondlife://Foo/126/32/">secondlife://Foo/126/32/  (this doesn't come underlined on my viewer,
for some reason)
rezzme://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9003/Foo/126/32 (this also doesn't come
underlined)

Obviously, the closest to what we need is the rezzme handler. Is that
working already? Should I take that on for the hypergrid? Or something
else? Does anyone know if/how the viewer sends that hyperlink clicking
event to the server?

Crista

Re: TP protocol handle

Dr Scofield
Cristina Videira Lopes wrote:
> Dirk,
>
> How do I make the SL viewer underline these things?
> I still don't know what packet is involved, but I can see that urls like
> these
> http://slurl.com/secondlife/Foo/
> secondlife://Foo/
> result in something being sent to the server querying for region Foo.
> That's all I need to make it happen.

do you? what if Foo is on another grid? is that taken care by HG?

> But this:
> rezzme://Foo/
> doesn't.
>
> I mean, I can always do what I want via an OS scripting function, but if
> there's a way of doing it via a simple click, that would be ideal.

no. the SL client is not aware of the rezzme URI handler it then seems. i guess
it all depends on how it picks up URI handlers...

--
dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/

Re: TP protocol handle

Dr Scofield
Dr Scofield wrote:

> Cristina Videira Lopes wrote:
>> Dirk,
>>
>> How do I make the SL viewer underline these things?
>> I still don't know what packet is involved, but I can see that urls like
>> these
>> http://slurl.com/secondlife/Foo/
>> secondlife://Foo/
>> result in something being sent to the server querying for region Foo.
>> That's all I need to make it happen.
>
> do you? what if Foo is on another grid? is that taken care by HG?
>
>> But this:
>> rezzme://Foo/
>> doesn't.
>>
>> I mean, I can always do what I want via an OS scripting function, but if
>> there's a way of doing it via a simple click, that would be ideal.
>
> no. the SL client is not aware of the rezzme URI handler it then seems. i guess
> it all depends on how it picks up URI handlers...

actually, i think the SL client needs to be modified so that it picks up RezzMe
URIs. see my comment re hippo viewer.

--
dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/
RL: [hidden email] - +41 44 724 8573 - http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

Re: TP protocol handle

Ai Austin
At 11:02 30/01/2009, "Dirk Krause" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>I want to take HG TPs to the next logical step and support dynamic
>links, that is, the ability for the user to simply click on something
>like this
>
>http://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9003/
>
>and be teleported there from anywhere on the Metaverse.
>
>The question is: what should these handles look like?

I see the New World Grid folks are working on http://osurl.org

Re: TP protocol handle

Cristina Videira Lopes
Dr Scofield wrote:
Cristina Videira Lopes wrote:

Dirk,

How do I make the SL viewer underline these things?
I still don't know what packet is involved, but I can see that urls like
these
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Foo/
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="secondlife://Foo/">secondlife://Foo/
result in something being sent to the server querying for region Foo.
That's all I need to make it happen.

do you? what if Foo is on another grid? is that taken care by HG?

I mean I can take care of urls like this:

http://slurl.com/secondlife/ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9003/

What follows after /secondlife/ is the variable part, it seems (my Foo before :-); the important thing is that the viewer seems to understand that urls like this
http://slurl.com/secondlife/...
are supposed to send something to the server, as opposed to pulling up a web browser like the other URLs do.
Same with
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="secondlife://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9003/">secondlife://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9003/

As long as the viewer sends that variable part to the server (thinking that it's a region name), or any other string resulting from an hyperlink, I can make it happen.

But if the info doesn't go, that is not possible.

Re: TP protocol handle

LC-2
the //slurl is an assiociation handled at the web browser level.
it's like downloading a zip that run the unpacker.

lc

Lc wrote:
> the //slurl is an assiociation handled at the web browser level.
> it's like downloading a zip that run the unpacker.

Yes and no.
It's handled at the web browser level when the string happens on a
normal web browser.
But when the string happens in chat in the SL viewer, the SL viewer
interprets it first, and doesn't pass it to a web browser.

Re: TP protocol handle

Cristina Videira Lopes
Thanks all for the pointers. I now understand a lot better what these
handles are all about, and I've done the first step into pervasive
hyperlinking within OpenSim.

Starting in r8193, if you're in an HG-enabled region, you'll be able to
dynamically link sims, and TP there, in any one of these ways (and
probably more)

1) Type for example secondlife://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9007/ in the
chat box, pull up the chat history and click on that link

2) Pull up the map and search for things like ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9007

3) Using the embedded browser visit pages that have links like
secondlife://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9007/ (there's one up at
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~lopes/hypergrid/test.html)

What I've done is to take advantage of the viewer's existing machinery,
especially its interpretation of secondlife:// handles, which expect a
region name to follow. When that name is not found in the local grid,
this new code kicks in, and does the magic.

This doesn't address the launching of the viewer, which is a separate
issue, and one that slurl and similar mechanisms like rezzme:// try to
address. What it does is, after you're already logged in soomewhere, you
can go hypergriding around in a very easy way, all within the viewer's
capabilities.

The static link-region command and uploads over the web, is still very
useful because it supports permanent links. The ones I added are not
(intended to be) permanent, they (will) come and go.

Feedback welcome!

Crista

Cristina Videira Lopes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to take HG TPs to the next logical step and support dynamic
> links, that is, the ability for the user to simply click on something
> like this
>
> http://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9003/
>
> and be teleported there from anywhere on the Metaverse.
>
> The question is: what should these handles look like?
>
> I see a variety of protocol handles out there, and I confess I don't
> understand entirely how the viewer handles these -- but I'll figure it
> out. In any case, I see:
>
> http://slurl.com/secondlife/Foo/126/32/
> secondlife://Foo/126/32/  (this doesn't come underlined on my viewer,
> for some reason)
> rezzme://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9003/Foo/126/32 (this also doesn't come
> underlined)
>
> Obviously, the closest to what we need is the rezzme handler. Is that
> working already? Should I take that on for the hypergrid? Or something
> else? Does anyone know if/how the viewer sends that hyperlink clicking
> event to the server?
>
> Crista

Re: TP protocol handle

Kyle G-2
Amazing! Cannot wait to try it soon....

Thanks all for the pointers. I now understand a lot better what these
handles are all about, and I've done the first step into pervasive
hyperlinking within OpenSim.

Starting in r8193, if you're in an HG-enabled region, you'll be able to
dynamically link sims, and TP there, in any one of these ways (and
probably more)

1) Type for example secondlife://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9007/ in the
chat box, pull up the chat history and click on that link

2) Pull up the map and search for things like ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9007

3) Using the embedded browser visit pages that have links like
secondlife://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9007/ (there's one up at
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~lopes/hypergrid/test.html)

What I've done is to take advantage of the viewer's existing machinery,
especially its interpretation of secondlife:// handles, which expect a
region name to follow. When that name is not found in the local grid,
this new code kicks in, and does the magic.

This doesn't address the launching of the viewer, which is a separate
issue, and one that slurl and similar mechanisms like rezzme:// try to
address. What it does is, after you're already logged in soomewhere, you
can go hypergriding around in a very easy way, all within the viewer's
capabilities.

The static link-region command and uploads over the web, is still very
useful because it supports permanent links. The ones I added are not
(intended to be) permanent, they (will) come and go.

Feedback welcome!

Crista

Cristina Videira Lopes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to take HG TPs to the next logical step and support dynamic
> links, that is, the ability for the user to simply click on something
> like this
>
> http://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9003/
>
> and be teleported there from anywhere on the Metaverse.
>
> The question is: what should these handles look like?
>
> I see a variety of protocol handles out there, and I confess I don't
> understand entirely how the viewer handles these -- but I'll figure it
> out. In any case, I see:
>
> http://slurl.com/secondlife/Foo/126/32/
> secondlife://Foo/126/32/  (this doesn't come underlined on my viewer,
> for some reason)
> rezzme://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9003/Foo/126/32 (this also doesn't come
> underlined)
>
> Obviously, the closest to what we need is the rezzme handler. Is that
> working already? Should I take that on for the hypergrid? Or something
> else? Does anyone know if/how the viewer sends that hyperlink clicking
> event to the server?
>
> Crista

Re: TP protocol handle

Cristina Videira Lopes
Forgot to say this.
If you want to experience this right now without installing, you can try it in UCI's regions in OSGrid, "UCI Welcome" and "UC Irvine".

Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2009 1:49 PM
To: [hidden email]

Thanks all for the pointers. I now understand a lot better what these
handles are all about, and I've done the first step into pervasive
hyperlinking within OpenSim.

Starting in r8193, if you're in an HG-enabled region, you'll be able to
dynamically link sims, and TP there, in any one of these ways (and
probably more)

1) Type for example <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="secondlife://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9007/">secondlife://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9007/ in the
chat box, pull up the chat history and click on that link

2) Pull up the map and search for things like ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9007

3) Using the embedded browser visit pages that have links like
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="secondlife://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9007/">secondlife://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9007/ (there's one up at
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~lopes/hypergrid/test.html)

What I've done is to take advantage of the viewer's existing machinery,
especially its interpretation of <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="secondlife://">secondlife:// handles, which expect a
[...]

Mic Bowman
Is there any way to report on the grid coordinates for the linked
region so you can tell whether the link is within the acceptable 4096
range? something like gridinfo...

--mic

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Cristina Videira Lopes
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks all for the pointers. I now understand a lot better what these
> handles are all about, and I've done the first step into pervasive
> hyperlinking within OpenSim.
>
> Starting in r8193, if you're in an HG-enabled region, you'll be able to
> dynamically link sims, and TP there, in any one of these ways (and
> probably more)
>
> 1) Type for example secondlife://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9007/ in the
> chat box, pull up the chat history and click on that link
>
> 2) Pull up the map and search for things like ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9007
>
> 3) Using the embedded browser visit pages that have links like
> secondlife://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9007/ (there's one up at
> http://www.ics.uci.edu/~lopes/hypergrid/test.html)
>
> What I've done is to take advantage of the viewer's existing machinery,
> especially its interpretation of secondlife:// handles, which expect a
> region name to follow. When that name is not found in the local grid,
> this new code kicks in, and does the magic.
>
> This doesn't address the launching of the viewer, which is a separate
> issue, and one that slurl and similar mechanisms like rezzme:// try to
> address. What it does is, after you're already logged in soomewhere, you
> can go hypergriding around in a very easy way, all within the viewer's
> capabilities.
>
> The static link-region command and uploads over the web, is still very
> useful because it supports permanent links. The ones I added are not
> (intended to be) permanent, they (will) come and go.
>
> Feedback welcome!
>
> Crista
>
> Cristina Videira Lopes wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to take HG TPs to the next logical step and support dynamic
>> links, that is, the ability for the user to simply click on something
>> like this
>>
>> http://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9003/
>>
>> and be teleported there from anywhere on the Metaverse.
>>
>> The question is: what should these handles look like?
>>
>> I see a variety of protocol handles out there, and I confess I don't
>> understand entirely how the viewer handles these -- but I'll figure it
>> out. In any case, I see:
>>
>> http://slurl.com/secondlife/Foo/126/32/
>> secondlife://Foo/126/32/  (this doesn't come underlined on my viewer,
>> for some reason)
>> rezzme://ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9003/Foo/126/32 (this also doesn't come
>> underlined)
>>
>> Obviously, the closest to what we need is the rezzme handler. Is that
>> working already? Should I take that on for the hypergrid? Or something
>> else? Does anyone know if/how the viewer sends that hyperlink clicking
>> event to the server?
>>
>> Crista

Re: TP protocol handle

Stefan Andersson
Kind of crazy idea here, but how is 'landmarks' actually stored on the server and used by the client? Shouldn't we be able to store grid and region endpoint in a landmark?

I mean, if the landmark contains the region name, it could just as well be stored with target grid and/or region endpoint in it as well?

If the client only uses an uuid, it should be requesting that conversion from the region, which could in turn use the users home grid servers to resolve the uuid request into more metadata - as the landmark was originally created on that grid. (yes, that could, in theory, mean that person A clicking on a landmark in region B would cause B to talk to home grid C that will access originating grid D to resolve the actual endpoint and things like that, but hey - think of the possibilities!

Best regards,
Stefan Andersson
Tribal Media AB

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 11:12:08 -0800
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

Kyle wrote:
Amazing! Cannot wait to try it soon....

Re: TP protocol handle

Paul Fishwick
This is impressive and faster than using link-region. It made me wonder
whether
there was a keyboard shortcut for the in-viewer browser, but I cannot
see one
in the web pages that list the shortcuts.. Worked fine through the chat
window,
though.
-p

Cristina Videira Lopes wrote:

> Forgot to say this.
> If you want to experience this right now without installing, you can
> try it in UCI's regions in OSGrid, "UCI Welcome" and "UC Irvine".
>

> Kyle wrote:
>> Amazing! Cannot wait to try it soon....

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
University of Florida
Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
Bldg. CSE, Room 301
P.O. Box 116120
Gainesville, FL 32611
Email: [hidden email]
Phone: (352) 392-1414
Fax: (352) 392-1220
Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

Re: TP protocol handle

Cristina Videira Lopes
Mic Bowman wrote:
> Is there any way to report on the grid coordinates for the linked
> region so you can tell whether the link is within the acceptable 4096
> range? something like gridinfo...

Yes, I'm finally going to add that check in the link-region machinery.
It's really simple.

Re: TP protocol handle

Cristina Videira Lopes
Stefan Andersson wrote:
Kind of crazy idea here, but how is 'landmarks' actually stored on the server and used by the client? Shouldn't we be able to store grid and region endpoint in a landmark?

I mean, if the landmark contains the region name, it could just as well be stored with target grid and/or region endpoint in it as well?

If the client only uses an uuid, it should be requesting that conversion from the region, which could in turn use the users home grid servers to resolve the uuid request into more metadata - as the landmark was originally created on that grid. (yes, that could, in theory, mean that person A clicking on a landmark in region B would cause B to talk to home grid C that will access originating grid D to resolve the actual endpoint and things like that, but hey - think of the possibilities!

There's lots of possibilities, I just found out doing this. The map search, for example, was a wonderful surprise, since the viewer sends whatever we type there verbatim to the server. So we can type anything we want and interpret it on the server-side...

I haven't looked into landmarks yet, but it's quite possible that it does the same.

12