[opensim-dev] interfaces to opensim for sensor network data

[opensim-dev] interfaces to opensim for sensor network data

CJ Davies
I'm working on a cross-reality project that collects data from a
wireless sensor network (running the TinyOS environment) & presents it
to an opensim server such that the data may affect the state of the
simulation (e.g. a light turning on in the real world is detected by a
sensor & causes a light in the simulation to also turn on).

Can anybody link me to any information on what available interfaces
there are for presenting the sensor data to opensim? I've been googling
but can't seem to come up with a suitable search string to return what
I'm actually looking for! I presume there must be several opensim
interfaces in a few different languages?

Regards,
CJ Davies

Re: [opensim-dev] interfaces to opensim for sensor network data

Melanie-2
While not a trivial task, this is also not insurmountable.

The script command module can be used to talk to a new, to be
written region module which can keep a map of external events to
scripts, and can then dispatch events to interested scripts as they
come in. The hardware interface can be anything .net can access, or
it can be done via ethernet. This depends on your sensor devices.

Melanie

CJ Davies wrote:

> I'm working on a cross-reality project that collects data from a
> wireless sensor network (running the TinyOS environment) & presents it
> to an opensim server such that the data may affect the state of the
> simulation (e.g. a light turning on in the real world is detected by a
> sensor & causes a light in the simulation to also turn on).
>
> Can anybody link me to any information on what available interfaces
> there are for presenting the sensor data to opensim? I've been googling
> but can't seem to come up with a suitable search string to return what
> I'm actually looking for! I presume there must be several opensim
> interfaces in a few different languages?
>
> Regards,
> CJ Davies

Re: [opensim-dev] interfaces to opensim for sensor network data

Fleep Tuque
I know David Taylor at the National Physical Laboratory did similar work a couple years ago in Second Life, see http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/feb/26/internet.buildings.  He's one of the SciLand fellas, though I don't know what differences might apply between SL and OpenSim, he might be a resource for you.

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL: Fleep Tuque)
Project Manager, UC Second Life
Second Life Ambassador, Ohio Learning Network
UCit Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406E Zimmer Hall
PO Box 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513)556-3018

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 8:00 AM, CJ Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm working on a cross-reality project that collects data from a wireless sensor network (running the TinyOS environment) & presents it to an opensim server such that the data may affect the state of the simulation (e.g. a light turning on in the real world is detected by a sensor & causes a light in the simulation to also turn on).

Can anybody link me to any information on what available interfaces there are for presenting the sensor data to opensim? I've been googling but can't seem to come up with a suitable search string to return what I'm actually looking for! I presume there must be several opensim interfaces in a few different languages?

Regards,
CJ Davies

Re: [opensim-dev] interfaces to opensim for sensor network data

Jeroen van Veen
Hello Mr/Ms. Davies,

If i may ask: Is this an open source project you're working on? Crossreality
applications also have my interest. I'm working on an opensource html5
webportal(https://github.com/phrearch/hwios & http://hwios.org) which offer an
opensim map, that is mashed up with openstreetmap. I would be interested in
developing a mobile bot-client, that changes position based on the gps
position of the phone(running on a n900). Using this in combination with
realworld/inworld sensors would be an interesting combination. Please let me
know what you think.

kind regards,

Jeroen van Veen

HWIOS developer

On Wednesday 24 November 2010 13:00:05 CJ Davies wrote:

> I'm working on a cross-reality project that collects data from a
> wireless sensor network (running the TinyOS environment) & presents it
> to an opensim server such that the data may affect the state of the
> simulation (e.g. a light turning on in the real world is detected by a
> sensor & causes a light in the simulation to also turn on).
>
> Can anybody link me to any information on what available interfaces
> there are for presenting the sensor data to opensim? I've been googling
> but can't seem to come up with a suitable search string to return what
> I'm actually looking for! I presume there must be several opensim
> interfaces in a few different languages?
>
> Regards,
> CJ Davies

Re: [opensim-dev] interfaces to opensim for sensor network data

Jor3l Boa
You can interact with the object using llHTTPResponse (wich generates an URL and you can send GET and POST data), just send the data and process it with LSL

2010/11/24 Jeroen van Veen <[hidden email]>
Hello Mr/Ms. Davies,

If i may ask: Is this an open source project you're working on? Crossreality
applications also have my interest. I'm working on an opensource html5
webportal(https://github.com/phrearch/hwios & http://hwios.org) which offer an
opensim map, that is mashed up with openstreetmap. I would be interested in
developing a mobile bot-client, that changes position based on the gps
position of the phone(running on a n900). Using this in combination with
realworld/inworld sensors would be an interesting combination. Please let me
know what you think.

kind regards,

Jeroen van Veen

HWIOS developer

On Wednesday 24 November 2010 13:00:05 CJ Davies wrote:
> I'm working on a cross-reality project that collects data from a
> wireless sensor network (running the TinyOS environment) & presents it
> to an opensim server such that the data may affect the state of the
> simulation (e.g. a light turning on in the real world is detected by a
> sensor & causes a light in the simulation to also turn on).
>
> Can anybody link me to any information on what available interfaces
> there are for presenting the sensor data to opensim? I've been googling
> but can't seem to come up with a suitable search string to return what
> I'm actually looking for! I presume there must be several opensim
> interfaces in a few different languages?
>
> Regards,
> CJ Davies

Re: [opensim-dev] interfaces to opensim for sensor network data

Paul Fishwick
On 11/24/2010 8:26 AM, Fleep Tuque wrote:

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 8:00 AM, CJ Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm working on a cross-reality project that collects data from a wireless sensor network (running the TinyOS environment) & presents it to an opensim server such that the data may affect the state of the simulation (e.g. a light turning on in the real world is detected by a sensor & causes a light in the simulation to also turn on).

Can anybody link me to any information on what available interfaces there are for presenting the sensor data to opensim? I've been googling but can't seem to come up with a suitable search string to return what I'm actually looking for! I presume there must be several opensim interfaces in a few different languages?

Not sure if this would help but my student has recently updated osFunctions to
to retrieve and output UDP port information. Our purpose was to drive a continuous
simulation from the outside and have real-time geometry/visual feedback in OpenSim.

The problem we are currently having now is not so much getting data into OpenSim in
real time but figuring out the new region module API for geometry - I think it
might have changed since when the HelloWorld region module was originally created. We are
thinking of this region module approach, rather than LSL, due to speed issues that we've
encountered with using LSL for an outside interface.

I think your project requires similar functionality to ours. There are two issues:

 1) rapid I/O to/from OpenSim
 2) ability to process I/O data within OpenSim from (1)

-p

Regards,
CJ Davies

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences
CISE Department, CSE 301
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32611
Email: [hidden email]
Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick
Blog: http://www.representationz.com

Re: interfaces to opensim for sensor network data

Kevin Cozens
CJ Davies wrote:
> Can anybody link me to any information on what available interfaces
> there are for presenting the sensor data to opensim?

Sounds like an interesting and fun project.

The easiest way to get the sensor data in to opensim is to have an inworld
script that polls an external webserver. The polling rate you would need would
depend on how quickly you want the virtual world to respond to events in the
real world.

A similar but slightly better way to do this is to use an inworld script that
listens for data via an http connection. There are a couple of advantages to
this. The inworld scripts will be mostly idle (minimizing their impact on the
server load) while waiting for data vs. constantly polling for data and having
to parse the data to see what might have changed. It would also make the
inworld scripts more responsive to real world events. As soon as new sensor
data was available it can be pushed to opensim and the waiting scripts would
"wake up" to process the incoming data.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      |"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus:
                                 |  Try to assimilate the world!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |              -Pinkutus & the Borg

Re: interfaces to opensim for sensor network data

Olli Aro
Administrator
Also to add... You probably already have a way to make the data available
from your sensors for OpenSim to process it, but if not this is quite handy
as "middleware":

http://www.pachube.com/

Regards,

Olli

> Can anybody link me to any information on what available interfaces
> there are for presenting the sensor data to opensim?

Sounds like an interesting and fun project.

The easiest way to get the sensor data in to opensim is to have an inworld
script that polls an external webserver. The polling rate you would need
would depend on how quickly you want the virtual world to respond to events
in the real world.

A similar but slightly better way to do this is to use an inworld script
that listens for data via an http connection. There are a couple of
advantages to this. The inworld scripts will be mostly idle (minimizing
their impact on the server load) while waiting for data vs. constantly
polling for data and having to parse the data to see what might have
changed. It would also make the inworld scripts more responsive to real
world events. As soon as new sensor data was available it can be pushed to
opensim and the waiting scripts would "wake up" to process the incoming
data.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      |"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus:
                                 |  Try to assimilate the world!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |              -Pinkutus & the Borg

Re: interfaces to opensim for sensor network data

ssm2017
multiple solutions are possible
what do you think about creating a google group or something like that
to share infos about that ?
im interested in linking dmx512 to opensim

2010/11/24 Olli Aro <[hidden email]>:

> Also to add... You probably already have a way to make the data available
> from your sensors for OpenSim to process it, but if not this is quite handy
> as "middleware":
>
> http://www.pachube.com/
>
> Regards,
>
> Olli

justincc
On 24/11/10 13:00, CJ Davies wrote:
> I'm working on a cross-reality project that collects data from a wireless sensor network (running the TinyOS
> environment) & presents it to an opensim server such that the data may affect the state of the simulation (e.g. a light
> turning on in the real world is detected by a sensor & causes a light in the simulation to also turn on).
>
> Can anybody link me to any information on what available interfaces there are for presenting the sensor data to opensim?
> I've been googling but can't seem to come up with a suitable search string to return what I'm actually looking for! I
> presume there must be several opensim interfaces in a few different languages?

As the other responses have indicated, I don't think there's yet a a ready-baked solution for this but rather a number
of different approaches which each have their pros and cons (using llHTTPResponse, communicating via script with a
backend region module via modSendCommand(), adding new OSSL functions).

I'll also add the approach of using a region module to directly create/move/delete scene objects without any LSL/OSSL
scripting.  This has both disadvantages (can't be transferred to SL, written in C#, poor OpenSim internals/module
documentation) but also advantages (no need to shuttle state between scripts and a backend module, no need to
co-ordinate scripts running on multiple threads, direct access to all OpenSim functionality, easier automated testing, etc.)

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org

Re: [opensim-dev] interfaces to opensim for sensor network data

CJ Davies
Many thanks to all the helpful responses, it certainly gives me a few
things to look into over the next few days.

WRT collaborations/Google Groups/open source/etc., the project is an
ongoing final year university project & as such there is no scope for
such things at the moment (as I would be accused of cheating!). However
upon completion it may well be released open source & possibly continued
into a PhD (if I can secure funding), at which point I would probably be
actively seeking collaboration.

It's interesting that one of you should mention DMX512, as I actually
work with a lot of DMX512 lighting equipment (as much as 125A worth) in
my spare time & hadn't even thought of such a combination with opensim!

Regards,
CJ Davise

On 11/24/2010 01:00 PM, CJ Davies wrote:

> I'm working on a cross-reality project that collects data from a
> wireless sensor network (running the TinyOS environment) & presents it
> to an opensim server such that the data may affect the state of the
> simulation (e.g. a light turning on in the real world is detected by a
> sensor & causes a light in the simulation to also turn on).
>
> Can anybody link me to any information on what available interfaces
> there are for presenting the sensor data to opensim? I've been
> googling but can't seem to come up with a suitable search string to
> return what I'm actually looking for! I presume there must be several
> opensim interfaces in a few different languages?
>
> Regards,
> CJ Davies

Re: [opensim-dev] interfaces to opensim for sensor network data

Richard Hackathorn
On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 23:51:23 +0000. Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
> As the other responses have indicated, I don't think there's yet a a ready-baked solution for this but rather a number
> of different approaches which each have their pros and cons (using llHTTPResponse, communicating via script with a
> backend region module via modSendCommand(), adding new OSSL functions).
>
> I'll also add the approach of using a region module to directly create/move/delete scene objects without any LSL/OSSL
> scripting.  This has both disadvantages (can't be transferred to SL, written in C#, poor OpenSim internals/module
> documentation) but also advantages (no need to shuttle state between scripts and a backend module, no need to
> co-ordinate scripts running on multiple threads, direct access to all OpenSim functionality, easier automated testing, etc.)

On 24/11/10 13:00, CJ Davies wrote:
> I'm working on a cross-reality project that collects data from a wireless sensor network (running the TinyOS
> environment) & presents it to an opensim server such that the data may affect the state of the simulation (e.g. a light
> turning on in the real world is detected by a sensor & causes a light in the simulation to also turn on).
>
> Can anybody link me to any information on what available interfaces there are for presenting the sensor data to opensim?
> I've been googling but can't seem to come up with a suitable search string to return what I'm actually looking for! I
> presume there must be several opensim interfaces in a few different languages?

Great discussion that CJ Davies initiated. Thanks!

I am working on a project to create abstract 'data worlds' based on structures in a relational database. Justin's proposed approach would be great! If there is anything I can contribute (testing, documentation), please ask...Justin.

Richard Hackathorn
Bolder Technology, Inc.
Email: [hidden email] SL: Hack Richard
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/hackathorn

On 26/11/10 18:30, Richard Hackathorn wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 23:51:23 +0000. Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>  > As the other responses have indicated, I don't think there's yet a a ready-baked solution for this but rather a number
>  > of different approaches which each have their pros and cons (using llHTTPResponse, communicating via script with a
>  > backend region module via modSendCommand(), adding new OSSL functions).
>  >
>  > I'll also add the approach of using a region module to directly create/move/delete scene objects without any LSL/OSSL
>  > scripting.  This has both disadvantages (can't be transferred to SL, written in C#, poor OpenSim internals/module
>  > documentation) but also advantages (no need to shuttle state between scripts and a backend module, no need to
>  > co-ordinate scripts running on multiple threads, direct access to all OpenSim functionality, easier automated
> testing, etc.)
>
> On 24/11/10 13:00, CJ Davies wrote:
>  > I'm working on a cross-reality project that collects data from a wireless sensor network (running the TinyOS
>  > environment) & presents it to an opensim server such that the data may affect the state of the simulation (e.g. a light
>  > turning on in the real world is detected by a sensor & causes a light in the simulation to also turn on).
>  >
>  > Can anybody link me to any information on what available interfaces there are for presenting the sensor data to opensim?
>  > I've been googling but can't seem to come up with a suitable search string to return what I'm actually looking for! I
>  > presume there must be several opensim interfaces in a few different languages?
>
> Great discussion that CJ Davies initiated. Thanks!
>
> I am working on a project to create abstract 'data worlds' based on structures in a relational database. Justin's
> proposed approach would be great! If there is anything I can contribute (testing, documentation), please ask...Justin.

Lo-fi public visualization in OpenSim is an interest of mine.  There has been some interesting stuff done via scripting
on the Linden grid but I think there's also a lot of potential for the server-side approach (because of the advantages
outlined previously).

In fact, next year I hope to improve the documentation and facilities in this area, since I think it has the potential
to enable a lot of stuff.  Documentation, testing and patches will be much appreciated!

In the meantime, if there are any questions about manipulating OpenSim from the region module side please feel free to
ask and I will do my best to answer them, time and knowledge permitting.  I have good knowledge of how to do certain
things on master and 0.7.0.2 and less the further back you go in release time.

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org
http://twitter.com/justincc

a region module to visualize the state of a software project (Re: [opensim-dev] interfaces to opensim for sensor network data)

Toni Alatalo
On Nov 27, 2010, at 4:13 AM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>> I am working on a project to create abstract 'data worlds' based on structures in a relational database. Justin's
>> proposed approach would be great! If there is anything I can contribute (testing, documentation), please
> Lo-fi public visualization in OpenSim is an interest of mine.  There has been some interesting stuff done via scripting on the Linden grid but I think there's also a lot of potential for the server-side approach (because of the advantages outlined previously).

There is one quite new example out there btw, which originally came from the idea of thinking how we could 'eat our own dogfood' in opensim development .. visualizing the state of software projects as virtual worlds, to facilitate interdeveloper communications etc.

It was developed against the Naali viewer codebase data, as an Opensim region module, but is general enough to work against any software project basically. The code is in http://code.google.com/p/rexprojectspace/ . It creates a quite rich scene on the server entirely from the code in the region module, using data it fetches from various services with http. There's a downloadable video on the project site, http://code.google.com/p/rexprojectspace/downloads/detail?name=rex_beta5.m4v .. demonstrates all these features:

It pulls information about the code itself, mainly the module / directory structure, from the version control (on github in this case). And shows commit information, the latest commit msg to each dir. And has an object representing each dev, placed where the previous commit from that dev came. And shows bugs as a kind of flying bugs in the air, it gets that info from the tracker we have at google code .. unassigned bugs have different colour.

Additionally it polls a buildbot to show build/test status -- if tests fail, the tree that shows the commits starts burning .. when tests again succeed, there is rain, and the tree stops burning :) And if someone makes a new branch to git, new branch grows to the tree. And you can click on a commit in the tree to open the info about that commit in a webbrowser (the github commit web view).

Markus made it as a his diploma thesis work, after found my writeup of the idea in a wiki, and the thesis is finished now .. the writeup is in Finnish though. I think we should write at least a short English article about it too, perhaps have time for that in January or so.

Plan is to set it somewhere to run and to actual use, and perhaps opensim can adopt it for opensim code too .. and run it on osgrid somewhere :) . So far I've been just running it locally sometimes, but am looking forward to having it always on as a kind of a painting at our studio, so can easily see the status in a nice way :) The visuals etc. are not the greatest, plan is to improve, but it works and is in some way complete .. as a first step, I hope.

Perhaps also works as an example for the original poster (Richard Hackathorn) for how to create a scene from external data in a region module. It uses modrex 'cause it uses meshes, but the vanilla opensim API to create new objects and assets and to place them etc. It is written in Python, using the IronPython Opensim region module loader Erno wrote a while ago, but the .net API of the Opensim objects is identical with c# usage. Py region modules are nicer to dev 'cause you don't have to restart the simulator while devving your module (I think MRMs have this advantage too?).  The py opensim loader is nowadays hosted by Melanie in some semi official opensim addons repo.

Markus was quite happy to develop the module, actually said that didn't encounter any bugs. He learned using Blender to model the tree and the leaves etc. for this project too from scratch, and didn't know anything about SL or Opensim or reX before this, so quite an achievement I'd say :)

~Toni

Re: a region module to visualize the state of a software project (Re: [opensim-dev] interfaces to opensim for sensor network data)

BlueWall Slade
Nice!

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 11:28 PM, Toni Alatalo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

Markus was quite happy to develop the module, actually said that didn't encounter any bugs. He learned using Blender to model the tree and the leaves etc. for this project too from scratch, and didn't know anything about SL or Opensim or reX before this, so quite an achievement I'd say :)

~Toni

Re: a region module to visualize the state of a software project (Re: [opensim-dev] interfaces to opensim for sensor network data)

Neil Canham
I thought this was a great use of OpenSim so I've written a brief summary along with the video here http://blog.knowsense.co.uk/blog/_archives/2010/12/20/4707937.html

Neil Canham