"Horizons" (panels) and a public "I am sorry"

"Horizons" (panels) and a public "I am sorry"

Americo Damasceno-2
I need to confess that the first time I saw "horizons" beeing used in OpenSim was by Cristina and I did a big  mistake,  erasing her   panels.  Trying to compensate this, I am presenting, for download, some "horizons" that an old friend, an artist from UK (S. Nectar) made, some years ago, for Croquet and are public. The idea of "horizons" is to avoid the "island paradigma".

If you are not understanding anything, download the images and take a look.  May be, could be created an easy way for the use of "horizons" in OpenSim worlds having only one region.

The address for download is:

http://www.dmu.com/croquet2/SNHorizons.zip

Sorry again, Cristina. I promess that I will not to do something like I did again.

Americo

check out the rest of the Windows Live™. More than mail–Windows Live™ goes way beyond your inbox. More than messages

Re: "Horizons" (panels) and a public "I am sorry"

Mircea Kitsune
I'm not sure what mistake it is that happened but all I can say from these screenshots is that this looks totally beautiful. I always dreamed of seeing long and far away land instead of the close islands and water everywhere else, but didn't think that could really be solved. Will that be included in Opensim by default as a terrain generator for empty spaces? That view is almost as beautiful and perfect as in real life with the Windlight system... just awesome :)

Re: "Horizons" (panels) and a public "I am sorry"

Cristina Videira Lopes
Hey Americo,

Those are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
If all mistakes would end up like this, I'm looking forward to see more mistakes :-)

Crista

PS The background story is that Americo deleted the panels I had in one of the Gateways :-) They're back.

Americo Damasceno wrote:
[...]

Stefan Andersson
Americo,

do I understand it correctly that these beautiful images are to be used as textures on 'wall' prims around an island estate?

Something that might also be of interest, is that a prim can be much larger than a region (anybody knows exactly how big?) so a horizon texture could, in theory span say 768 metres. Which might yield some interesting effects, especially if the horizon is wide-lensed and the avatar is prohibited from walking closer to the horizon than say 100 metres.

Best regards,
Stefan Andersson
Tribal Media AB

Re: "Horizons" (panels) and a public "I am sorry"

Dirk Krause
... or someone hacks SkyBox support into the Hippo viewer.

Which brings me to the question, is there a place to share 'beyond SL' ideas? Are they welcome at all?

I could think of some features that add to the SL-like experience (like the above).

They look like they could be used for a skybox or a skydome, but I don't
think those work too well in SL unless the client draw distance is set
sufficiently high.

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:47 PM, Stefan Andersson <[hidden email]>wrote:

>  Americo,
>
> do I understand it correctly that these beautiful images are to be used as
> textures on 'wall' prims around an island estate?
>
> Something that might also be of interest, is that a prim can be much larger
> than a region (anybody knows exactly how big?) so a horizon texture could,
> in theory span say 768 metres. Which might yield some interesting effects,
> especially if the horizon is wide-lensed and the avatar is prohibited from
> walking closer to the horizon than say 100 metres.
>
> Best regards,
> Stefan Andersson
> Tribal Media AB
>

> ------------------------------
>
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 08:04:47 -0300
> Subject: [Opensim-dev] "Horizons" (panels) and a public "I am sorry"
>
>  I need to confess that the first time I saw "horizons" beeing used in
> OpenSim was by Cristina and I did a big  mistake,  erasing her   panels.
> Trying to compensate this, I am presenting, for download, some "horizons"
> that an old friend, an artist from UK (S. Nectar) made, some years ago, for
> Croquet and are public. The idea of "horizons" is to avoid the "island
> paradigma".
>
> If you are not understanding anything, download the images and take a
> look.  May be, could be created an easy way for the use of "horizons" in
> OpenSim worlds having only one region.
>
> The address for download is:
>
> http://www.dmu.com/croquet2/SNHorizons.zip
>
> Sorry again, Cristina. I promess that I will not to do something like I did
> again.
>
> Americo

winmail.dat (5K) Download Attachment

Re: "Horizons" (panels) and a public "I am sorry"

Teravus Ovares
Yes, welcome, so long as they don't break what is there :)